Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a lot has followed me home....

So as some of yall know I was in Nebraska visiting family, and well, came back with a little heavier load!

Picked up an 8lb cross pein sledge, while there I cleaned it up, took off the paint, refit the handle, then same with the axe next to it. I really love the axe, it can chop really well, I put the handle on. For fun I bought a "caution Hot!" sign, not sure where to put it yet, so many options.... Also a 1/2 top swage, 5 files, some leather and stamps, a nice Diston saw, some carpentry chisels, a piece of leaf spring that I spotted in the ditch of the road, and some other stuff.

Now for the big ticket items. I bought a 101lb 1837 William foster anvil for $200. Not the greatest shape, but will probably be a student anvil, just for when I have people in my shop that maybe don't have the best hammer control... will get better pics when I can, this were the only pictures I had.

Then for the grand finally, a nice 200lb or so swage block.   The swage block I actually was not intending to get. We were in a leather shop, and there was another guy buying leather, and my dad asked him what he was getting it for. He replied that he is a blacksmith, and makes axes so he was getting leather for sheaths. We got to Talking, and he said he had some stuff I could come look at. We got to his garage, and I saw the massive swage block, with a cone mandrel next to it, along with some other stuff. So long story short, he gave me the swage block, and tried giving me the cone mandrel! Only reason we didn't get it, is one, he already gave use the swage block, and our vehicle was already going to be 300 lbs heavier (swage and anvil), and we didn't have enough room. I really wanted it! He said next year when I'm back up there that I can come and get it. He gave me his business card which has his mailing address, so he will be receiving quite a few things in the mail.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6770[1].JPG

IMG_6771[1].JPG

IMG_6772[1].JPG

IMG_6773[1].JPG

IMG_6774.jpg

IMG_6755[1].JPG

IMG_6756[1].JPG

LBS,

Beautiful swag you got.

I know that you will use it to good purpose.

Your progress has been impressive over the last few years.

I know that it will be put to good use.

Keep at it.

Regards,

SLAG.

p.s. I will look forward to pictures of the swage block and jib crane that you will eventually fashion for it.

Thank you slag,  no one has ever told me I have swag! :lol:

sometime after October when its not so busy we will make a stand. yup a jib crane definitely!

I have quite a few plans on what I will make with it, I cant wait!

also forgot, went to the steel supplier yesterday.

20 feet of 1/2" round

20 feet of 1/2" square

20 feet of 3/8" square

14 feet of 5/8" square

60 feet of 1/4" square

3 feet of 1-3/4"  round 4140

20 feet of 1/8"x1/2" flat

IMG_6891[1].JPG

Five bucks at an old antique/junk shop.  A 10" Coes wrench, an old pair of Wiss M2 snips, and a little 3" pair of calipers. 

The old guy wanted more originally but knocked the price waaay down when I told him that an old Stanley-Bailey #4 smoothing plane was worth five times what he was asking. 

IMG_3346.JPG

Went to the scrapyard Saturday morning with two of my students.  I  found some bearing races, military tent pegs---he got rid of  10000 pounds of them before I told him they were worth more than 20 cents a pound---nice upset heads! I'm just finding the remains tossed randomly on the pile. Also wide BSB and PS for large billets, large speaker to salvage the magnet from, a Tpost since the new neighbor unhooked my dog fence from their chainlink fence; probably just an oversight that they forgot to reattach it as they have goats and were building a shed on the property line...  Previous owners were happy to have the fence extension as their fence is on the property line---we had our lot surveyed! 24" of 1/2" sq stock, about 8' of 1/4" x 4" strap and a 2 drawer filing cabinet in good shape---my wife took possession of that. Left the large naval gun barrel, mine rail, etc and so on.  Rest of the day was my 33rd wedding anniversary celebration; then got up Sunday early and went on the roof to work on the Swamp cooler before church, finished the fix after Lunch and rested up to drive the 3 hours back down.  I did bring my teaching forge back down with me as I need to be hammering out some stuff and been too busy to finish off the other forge's reline. Just found out that My Mother, My Older Sister and Me are the trustees for my Father's estate and there will be a lot of stuff to do to get everything cleared up---and my Sister is going back to VA next Monday...

They say you shouldn't leave your car door unlocked in August, lest people leave zucchini on the back seat. 

Apparently if you visit the monastery and they're out of zucchini, they'll leave bell clappers in the front. 

IMG_3350.JPG

9 minutes ago, JHCC said:

That comment wins the No-Bell Prize!

When I worked at the bell foundry the no-bell prize was awarded after miss-casts where the mould didn't flow properly!

Also those look more like chime hammers than bell clappers, I may have actually disposed of the pattern used to cast those a couple of months ago. In the devastation here you can see some patterns for a much larger version.WP_20170609_15_54_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.12fbd54c3649ea42abb793d896d58315.jpg

1 hour ago, Foundryman said:

When I worked at the bell foundry the no-bell prize was awarded after miss-casts where the mould didn't flow properly!

Also those look more like chime hammers than bell clappers, I may have actually disposed of the pattern used to cast those a couple of months ago. In the devastation here you can see some patterns for a much larger version.

Most of the monastery bells came from Taylor; is that where you worked?

6 hours ago, JHCC said:

Most of the monastery bells came from Taylor; is that where you worked?

No, Whitechapel, but it's not uncommon for the two to work on each other's bells or replace fittings, or copy the other company's products for that matter!

2 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

On loan or deaccessioned? 

On loan.  However, one of the advantages of being on staff is that they let me take the art deco book (which is normally library-use-only) and even extended the one-week loan period until December. 

These are also from our own collection, not ILL.