I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 6/28/2017 at 3:36 PM, Frosty said:

HOLY MACKEREL! Who did you have to kill to get that haul and where'd you hide the bodies? More pics please especially once you've spread the loot out. 

I get giddy excited when I see a pair of tongs or nice hammer at a sale but an entire shop? Who's your fairy godmother?

Congrats, I'm just suffering a bit of EVERYDARNEDTHING.

Frosty The Lucky.

THE ONLY DEAD BODY WAS ALMOST ME!  When I told my wife i had bought "some" gear and was going to have to go on a "little" 3 day road trip to get it she was "slightly" upset! 

Here is some of the best of the hual. 

20170704_185720.jpg

14992118275781605576961.jpg

14992118811921615683723.jpg

20170704_185746.jpg

250 fisher 

20170704_185846.jpg

20170704_185906.jpg

20170704_185913.jpg

Pair of 6" posts 

20170704_185918.jpg

150 lb HB 

20170704_185729.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you annoy her enough that it would be worth my while to offer to clean out all that junk for her?

I had a friend that when he was in college he kept stuffing equipment in his mother's garage.  I started telling him I was going to put on my grungies and go over and offer to "clean out her garage for $100"; shoot I'd even offer her $200 to clean out the garage!

Quick trip to the scrap yard. Brought back a VERY large lever sorta thing, weights 50lbs. at the thickest part it is 1 3/4" square, which is perfect for 2.5lb hammers, then it tapers down to about 1" round. I have not spark tested it yet 'cause I'm waiting for it to cool (had it in the sun). Also got a short length of 1" sucker rod, couple cut offs (think they are also sucker rod), square shank drill bit, and two C clamps, one being a china one, and the other a Brink & Cotton.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6668[2].JPG

IMG_6669[1].JPG

IMG_6670[1].JPG

IMG_6672[1].JPG

IMG_6669[1].JPG

did a spark test and that lever is a medium carbon steel to what I can tell. Success!

Littleblacksmith

Millhand,

You won that shop on Eb*y?  Was that 3 day trip to  Connecticut?  If it was, you got a heck of a deal, even with the travel.  I was ready to bid if it would have stayed in my range, but didnt have the liquid to go higher than half what it sold for.

Great score, congratulations. 

Books arrived from JHCC! Thank you.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_6673[1].JPG

On 7/5/2017 at 5:14 PM, littleblacksmith said:

did a spark test and that lever is a medium carbon steel to what I can tell. Success!

Littleblacksmith

Great hual!!!

On 7/5/2017 at 0:04 PM, John in Oly, WA said:

Holy Moly! That is a nice haul!

How could any wife be upset about that?!  ('course, maybe that's why I'm presently not married. :blink:)

Lol thanks!!  

They are finicky buggers, once her new vacuum arives she will forget all about it!!! Hahaaa 

This is prob what i like the most of that hual.  Amazing old ball vise.  

20170704_185938.jpg

1499383063609333105834.jpg

14993831402981346686452.jpg

More of the stuff I brought home Mon. The lower singke bit ax and the lower double bit ax appear to be the same brand. The double bit is marked Belknap Bluegrass. There were several cultivator blades, a single tree and a bunck of hardware from single and double trees. Scythe blades, pick heads, splitting wedges, and a lot of other interesting stuff.

005_crop.jpg

008_crop.jpg

009_crop.jpg

011_crop.jpg

At Littleblacksmith's urging I figured I would post my haul from the Foth anvil experience I had today.  The guy, Dave, basically told me he would take any offer for the pile of stuff I had.  I knew he would take $20 but offered $40 because he was really cool and we bonded over his stories about his grandfather's anvil.  I think I made out fine.

IMG_0535.thumb.JPG.16fb9c05470d8fe52f2db1a177257101.JPG

There are about 20-30 round files and easily 50-60 square.  I grabbed the Ford valves just because I figured I would find something to make with them given enough time.  There are seven very small tongs that are made for very small round stock.  Two of them actually appear to be a set for doing some sort of weirdness with small rivets.  The large tongs are quite beefy and would be good for 1-1.25" stock.  There are also two small brass hammers and a variety of cold chisels for narrow work.  The large calipers can only achieve three different sizes (they were designed for specific work in the owners old shop) and need a new guide plate that allows them to swing to any size I want.

Lou

Elemental Metal Creations: I know you probably know this; but for other folks: In EMC's last picture the item standing up, a slightly tapered tube, I believe goes on the axle of an old wooden wagon; known as a skein. I have a couple like that; fancier ones did exist.

Elemental Metal Creations- Very nice haul! especially since I'm an axe guy, nice finds.

Lou L-wow!! that's really good, lot's of potential with that pile!

Littleblacksmith

Picked up a portable farrier's anvil from a retired farrier.  He had a cool Future #1 anvil with an aluminum base that had no ring to it at all.  Never saw one before.  Of course he is never letting go of his forge or daily anvil.  But I had a nice long chat with him, learned a few things, and grabbed this just because I may find a use for it for small shaping work.

IMG_0536.JPG