• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AWESOME!! I have the exact forge except I had to make a new firepot, the old one had rusted/burned through so bad it was barely holding together. Made the firepot from 3/8" Incon 600 rolled to size. Made the clinker breaker form same material. I also have a sidedraft I made for mine. You will love this forge, perfect size, in my opinion, and ya can't beat the price! Way to go. Now let's see some stuff made from it. wink, wink.

I used to own one a bit like that. I made a firepot from a 1937 banjo rear end axle cover that I had bought 2 of that had been made into jack stands---US$3 at the fleamarket. Ground out a casting ridge and the bearing holder and have been using it as my primary coal forge for about 20 years; it's on it's third forge table as I got tired of hauling the cast iron one to demos and designed my own. And I still have the other axle cover to use if this one ever gives out.

I generally use a piece of expanded metal to keep the fire from falling down the pipe; even welding a piece will last me at least 20 hours of forge time and are free as I scrounge the expanded metal bits I cut them out of. Though I did pick up 3 stainless steel shower drain covers to try out in it. The Habitat for Humanity re-store provided them at a good price. They had some 5/8" solid round stock too but wanted over twice as much as it costs to buy it new 2 miles from my shop.

Dr Dean, feels like I'm talking to myself, :) My forge did not have any markings on it but the blower that was with it is a Canady Otto belt drive blower. The lever, pully, belt, and all was missing and it had an electric blower attached. It didn't work too well so I am using a Champion 400 on it now. I have seen this same forge in an old Champion catalog but I believe it was sold under several different with minor deviations to the forge, such as blower, shield mounts, etc. This is my shop forge, I am refurbishing an old "Star Machine Works" forge with a lever/belt type of blower for my demo forge. The pan is only about 20" dia. but it will look cool when finished. It has a patient date of April 1883 on the side of the blower. The gearing that turns the belt wheel is vertical. First one I have seen like it. I will get some pictures of the 2 but not real sure how soon I can do that.

It followed me home many times, in my Motor Home, but I forgot about it. Sure was a pleasant surprise when I found it again while cleaning out my old Motor Home so it could leave.

What it is, is a brand new Milwaukee 4.5 inch angle grinder still in its original box. LOL

A neighbor ask if I wanted some metal he was throwing away, come on over. And do you ever use any hammers? There is one strange hammer, the other is too heavy for him to use.

The metal was 20 automobile rims, one pair of tongs, one pair hoof nippers, a 4 pound hammer, and a funny looking hammer with a little rust on it.

Rust don't scare me! Feel free to send it my way!

I was walking in an area that an old steel casting company used to dump their industrial waste---a bit of waste land---and found a top swage sticking out of the "gradeau". It needed a bit of cleaning up as well...

i have started doing some demos for a local historic house and they asked me if i wanted this old metal blacksmithing thing behind there barn i told them heck yea.

I`ve been thinking once I get a bigger shop bout making a forge LIke those ! Making a hood on it I think those forges would be a great design and have a tong rack . i`d like to find one for sale but will probally build one

treasures won in the iron in the hat last weekend and yesterday
IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0749.JPG
I plan on cutting the O2 cylinder in two and using half for a doming stake and the other half make a bell out of it.

the tongs will probably get the sheetmetal jaws cut off and reshaped into whater jaws I need at the moment.

I planned on forging down the J bolts to make a bick tool for my old anvil....but when I got my new anvil home this morning I checked, they fit my hardy hole perfectly as is. I just need to weld on something for a stop to elevate it off the anvil trim the extra length off and taper it out.

the pick will probably end up being turned into a makeshift stake

Last night I picked up an old piece of heavy plumbing: a 1" thick, appx 14" dia flange with a heavy cone attached to it terminating with a screw fitting The cone part being around 16" high I guess. I figure it went to an old valve assembly. It's heavily covered with lime deposits and is sitting in the vinegar bucket right now.

Looks like it will be a lovely cone mandrel when it's cleaned up. I need to make some stops that will fit in the flange bolt holes so I can use it as a bending form as well.

Saturdai Picked up a pair of tongs and a piece of 3/4 round ,that was flanted one one end . And a picec of flat bar . I paid $5.00 for it all . The tongs I plan to make longer reins and re work the jaws in to probally scrolling tongs.
I bought that stuf sat. while I was demoing I went over to the antquie shop LOL