I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Bought a top hot cut from an antique store yesterday for $6.00 not the best price but I didn't have one like it. Anyways, I forge welded the struck end that was badly mushroomed back into itself, drifted the eye larger, and forged the cutting edge thinner, as it had been ground back a lot. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Also was given a piece of poplar. I had time today to also forge a new handle for the leg vice that I found at the scrap yard, and straightened the leg. man though, holding on to the ENTIRE vice that weight quite a bit was tiring. and then holing it in one hand while I straightened the leg! it is defiantly a two man job!

Littleblacksmith  

IMG_5216[1].JPG

IMG_5217[1].JPG

IMG_5210[1].JPG

IMG_5211[1].JPG

IMG_5214[1].JPG

IMG_5218[1].JPG

IMG_5209[1].JPG

Edited by littleblacksmith
made pics smaller

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a month ago I was given some mild steel blocks that are 2" thick, 3" wide, and about 4 1/2" long, but that varies from piece to piece. I don't really have any ideas on what to do with them, and have been giving them to other people who are just starting out and need an anvil. Better than pounding on a rock!

7 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Nice. What were you planning to do with the poplar?

I don't really know, do any of ya'll have ideas??

Littleblacksmith

this is the only picture that shows a few of them- the tongs were ones that I made.

IMG_5161[1].JPG

Edited by littleblacksmith
re aranging text

Poplar is a relatively soft wood without pronounced grain. Carves well and takes fairly crisp detail, but dents easily. Traditionally used as a secondary wood for things like drawer sides and bottoms or panels on the backs of cabinets. Takes stain and paint well.

It does NOT have much strength, though, so don't use it for tool handles or the like. 

I wouldn't mind having four of those blocks to weld up into a portable hole. 

15 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I wouldn't mind having four of those blocks to weld up into a portable hole. 

thank you JHCC! I had been thinking of making a portable hole, and didn't ever think of making it out of them!

Littleblacksmith

Ok, so here is the vice all cleaned up and finished. I wire wheeled it with the angle grinder and put a coat of linseed oil on it. I am pleased with how it turned out, and that it now opens no worse than any of my other leg vices.

I did find one marking underneath the part that was drifted open for the screw box. It appears to be a star that has since then been partly worn off. Iron city? for some reason that comes to mind....Not much of a "vice identifier expert". There was some other random numbers that I would assume to be part numbers?? I didn't include any pictures of them, but they are just single digit and 2 digit numbers. If you think that they will help, let me know, and I will post some pictures.

Littleblacksmith

IMG_5222[1].JPG

IMG_5223[1].JPG

IMG_5224[1].JPG

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I made an old wrench into a bottle opener and gave it to my mechanic and he offered to let me go through his scrap pile for free...

Yeah, but this was my neighbor, and I saw how much work he was putting into cutting the old truck up for scrap.  Since he was going to sell the scrap to the local junk yard, I offered him a little more than I figured he'd get for those parts there.  I like having good neighbors.

On 2016-10-31 at 2:02 AM, littleblacksmith said:

I had time today to also forge a new handle for the leg vice that I found at the scrap yard, and straightened the leg. man though, holding on to the ENTIRE vice that weight quite a bit was tiring. and then holing it in one hand while I straightened the leg! it is defiantly a two man job!

Littleblacksmith

Yeah that sounds like a two man job. I use a portable adjustable stand for long pieces. It is intended to be used by (hobby) carpenters to be helpful together with table saws and similar equipment. You will find one on http://www.drapertools.com/category-products/4100/Roller-Stands  but they must be available in many places. It adjusts easily to anvil height and folds flat when not in use. The roller is not really the best for smithing but I use it for the original purpose too. If I get annoyed with the roller I wedge it with a piece of wood.

just got home saturday from working out of state on a railroad for the summer. in the back of my truck is a knuckle and two broken knuckle pins. keeping one pin for myself and the other for a friend. the knuckle is going in the iron in the hat in a couple of weeks. there was another knuckle but didnt have time to get it and not carrying it very far. ill get it in the spring when i go back.

Just goes to show that helping others is really helping yourself.  

I helped out my girlfriends Aunt today, she is moving, and she had set aside a bunch of stuff she thought I would be interested in. 

Fire bricks, couple old hammers, plyers scrap steel, some antlers, a couple drive shafts, a fire place, a couple metal containers, a bag of hard wood cut offs, and an old vice.

IMG_20161105_173341.jpg

IMG_20161105_173345.jpg

IMG_20161105_173350.jpg

IMG_20161105_173355.jpg

IMG_20161105_173359.jpg

IMG_20161105_173403.jpg

IMG_20161105_173408.jpg

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

Thus:

I may have to make one of those :) 

At the moment I have 4 heavier duty wagon wheels that want to be seat benches.

JME, excellent score. helping others is not always helping yourself, if nothing else you are a better person for it.

but sometimes the stars line up. :)

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Nice parlor stove. I don't see a handle is it a side loader, or a gas stove?

Nice scores all round, it's soooo good to keep on the right side of karma.

Frosty The Lucky.

It is actually an electric. Gonna put it in one of the bedrooms. Would love a gas stove though. 

It always pays to help people out. Feels good

31 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

I may have to make one of those :) 

At the moment I have 4 heavier duty wagon wheels that want to be seat benches.

JME, excellent score. helping others is not always helping yourself, if nothing else you are a better person for it.

but sometimes the stars line up. :)

I believe it is helping yourself. The good feeling I get from helping is the reward. Anything else is the bonus.

My mechanic friend called me about a pair of axles (minus the flanges), 1-5/16" dia. x ~32" long, brand spankin' new. 

IMG_1831.JPG

Also, the home warranty company has decided that replacing our ~50-year-old double wall oven is easier than finding replacement parts, so I have snagged the four racks out of that. Anything else I should salvage, if I can?

I picked up a cable I asked about earlier. It had the tag on it showing its ratings and other info but most of it is illegible. The tag says 'pary sling eip' rated up to 84000 (I'm assuming pounds) and the cable is 1.5 inches in diameter. I stretched it out as straight as I can and it measures about 20 feet long. It's a little rusty but I'm thinking it'll clean up nice enough.

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG