I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Ian, these are the standards for the BSA Metalworking badge as of 2002 - 4 options including sheetmetal, silversmith, foundry, and blacksmith. And I agree with you on the changing standards. I looked at the differences in some Merit Badge requirements from the 80's when I was finishing up my Eagle requirements and the 2002 edition... All I can say is, "really?"

http://www.scoutingbsa.org/programs/boyscouts/merit_badges/Metal_work.html

Option 4 - Blacksmith

Name and tell the use of the basic tools used by a blacksmith.

Make a reasonably accurate sketch of two tasteful objects to hot-forge. Include each component’s dimensions on your sketch.

Using low–carbon steel at least ¼ inch
thick, perform the following exercises:

Draw out by forging a taper.

Use the horn of the anvil by forging a U-shaped bend.

Twist steel by placing a decorative twist in a piece of square steel.

Use the edge of the anvil to bend metal by forging an L–shaped bend.

Using low-carbon steel at least ¼ inch thick, make at least two tasteful objects that require hot-forging.

Include a decorative twist on one object.

Include a hammer-riveted joint in one object.

Preserve your work from oxidation

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a call from my wife's ex husband yesterday (best buddy) He was in tractor supply and remembered that I needed a good motor for my Fairbanks hammer. So, here it is, 22 amp, GE, high torque, farm duty, 1740 rpm, 5 hp, single phase, two hundred thirty volt motor Sale price,$299.00 USD! I love how the price kept dropping and dropping. Now, just to get my wife through her chemo treatments and I can have this little dude humming!

post-8950-0-23997200-1295902794_thumb.jp

post-8950-0-44780600-1295902817_thumb.jp

I was talkin' to a guy at my kid's scout meeting about smithing. Another fellow overheard and said he had a propane forge he needed to get rid of for free. I asked him how big it was and he showed me with his hands about 8 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 3 feet long. I thought it was a tabletop unit that would be handy for small work.

We went to pick it up the next day. Turns out those were the interior dimensions of the firebox on a 400,000 BTU natural gas Johnson Furnace.

3 of us loaded the 580 pound beast into my kids old Toyota Pickup, and I drove it home. Someday I'll make a big power hood and hook it to a gas line. These babies go for about &7500 - 8,000 new. You never know.

Macsen

The hydralic repair shop across the highway from my shop was having a close out sale. Got the ford truck axles for 2 bucks each. The cylinders rams a buck each. Not too bad I guess. The picture was taken last summer. I'm just now learning how to post pictures, so I'll be posting more later.

Names' Quench.

IMG_0162.jpg

I traded some hydraulic parts I pulled from forklifts we were scraping for these two vise. Both have very good screws and the jaws are true. The big Reed is about 120 pounds and has some repairs done to the swivel base. The smaller Wilton is missing the swivel base. But for a 6" ID 28" stroke tilt cylinder and valve, I think I got the better end of the deal.

post-16767-0-03377200-1296612049_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Yahoo! I can finally add an "it followed me home" post! Karma pays off, I got up early and drove my wife down to her grandmother's for a visit, she had spun out the week before trying to make the same trip herself and had to be pulled out of the snowbank so she was a bit nervous about making the trip that day. Well, I dropped her off and was released to go check out an antique place that I had been wanting to stop at for a while. I started looking around, and there it was, standing by the back door, a nice 4" post vice. It didn't have a price tag on it, but I figured what the heck, ask about it anyways. Turns out that the tag had just fallen off, and it was only listed at $80! And, to make it even better, the mall was having a 20% off winter sale, so it wound up costing me appx. $70. All the parts are there, the screw is in excellent shape, and the jaws aren't all beat to heck, nice and straight and they meet square. Pretty good deal, I thought!

post-9851-0-37271900-1298006425_thumb.jp

post-9851-0-08976100-1298006553_thumb.jp

Got the ford truck axles for 2 bucks each. The cylinders rams a buck each.

Cut one of the truck axles at the flange and forge the other end into either a chisel or a pry bar, which ever you meed most. (grin)

A good chisel is great for around the shop, AND this one is over 1 inch in diameter and 30 inches long.
Now you can get into that A-arm and shear off that bolt with a 10 pound hammer.

I picked a local farm pretty hard. I was answering a craigslist ad for a champion 400 blower The guy said she turned nice and the gears were shiney he wanted 100.00 Well in the end I paid 75.00 and did a few other deals total for the day was 105.00 I think that was 4 weeks ago.

Robar

post-10781-0-79543900-1298155913_thumb.j

Last weekend this nice cone followed me home from the same farm as the blower and bench vise. 100.00 took it. I told the fella that they go for 300+ plus on ebay but there was no way I'd pay that for it. I let him think about it a couple weeks and called him back. After assuring him I wasn't buying it to resell he sold it for 100.00 and made me an offer on this anvil which I picked up this weekend. My 100 lb Hay_Budden plus 200 for his 200 Lb Hay-Budden.

I know it seems like a bit of a spree and it truely was I also have two new to me, leg vises that I aquired in the last month or so. A 6" for 70.00 and a 4.5" for 37.50 Both of those came from online auctions of the local variety not ebay. It seems like I've kinda jump in whole hog and bought a hobby to the casual reader, but I been beating on hot steel for almost 2 year with nothing more for than a block of cold roll and a home made forge. I figure that all these things falling into my lap is the man aboves way of telling me it was finally my time. Either way I'm happy as can be!

post-10781-0-17625400-1298156903_thumb.j

post-10781-0-67970800-1298157023_thumb.j

Edited because I did some Google research while lunch was heating.

That cutter may be really old, because Josiah Wilcox was a tool maker in 1840, and became part of Rhys & Wilcox in 1850. Three companies merged to become Peck, Stowe & Wilcox in 1870, before it became Pexto, After that, poor old Wilcox may have just joined Roebuck and faded away into the sunset.

P.S. Robar, you lucky dog, I have been looking for a deal like that on a floor cone for 13 years, that's really a score.

@John McPherson

My apologies for my run-on sentence. I May Have caused some confusion. The J.Wilcox was on the small "Candle Stick" Stake.

The only thing on the Hot Cutter was the Symbol I don't Know yet. What I can make out as "VERONALLOY" and "OFGA"

& @ROBAR

!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful !!!!!!!

@John McPherson My apologies for my run-on sentence. I May Have caused some confusion. The J.Wilcox was on the small "Candle Stick" Stake. The only thing on the Hot Cutter was the Symbol I don't Know yet. What I can make out as "VERONALLOY" and "OFGA" & @ROBAR

Agita,
The marking is from:

W, V, and T logo
Woodings-Verona Tool Co. of Verona, Pennsylvania
Founded in 1883 at Verona, PA. They produced sledge hammers, axes, bars, picks and railroad tools. They were purchased by Ames Tools in 1997.
Source: Ad submitted by Carl Bolt
Mark can be found on axes, hatchets, sledge hammers, and railroad track wrenches, etc.

Check out this web site: http://www.wrenching...gos-page-1.html They show the logo. While I am not certain about the cut from the picture but I believe it is a railroad tool. Depending on size and weight, I believe it is meant for cutting railroad stuff such as bolts, spikes, and etc with help from someone swinging a sledge hammer.

Brian

Well, the last few weeks have been really good to me. I have acquired an old Singer Leather Patch machine with stand. It really looks worn out, but works quite well. I just got it serviced and the guy was quite impressed with how the timing was. I just have to learn how to use it effectively now. Eventually, I will purchase a better leather sewing machine, but for now, it beats hand stitching.
post-1399-0-50458900-1298736911_thumb.jp
I also purchased two post vice. They are both complete. The screws and boxes on both are in excellent shape also. One of them has a bad forge weld on the leg. I am undecided if I should just get the stick welder after it or try to redo the weld. What do you guys think?
post-1399-0-89164000-1298737055_thumb.jp post-1399-0-27966000-1298737125_thumb.jp post-1399-0-39545000-1298737218_thumb.jp
I was also able to pick up two pair of Champion tongs. They are in good shape and should be of immediate use.
post-1399-0-02436200-1298737248_thumb.jp

wassomeoneelse , is that a Singer 29K? For more info on it cruise on over to www.leatherworker.net it is IFI for leather, and they have a whole section dedicated to sewing machines, and sewing leather techniques.

On the vise, I would just arc weld it if it isn't wrought iron. If it is wrought then I would look into forge welding it. By the time you go through the steps to forge weld it it could be welded, dressed, and in use.