I Forge Iron

It followed me home

this brown sharp #OY followed me home today for 100 bucks i had offered the guy a month ago or so as he kept listing it on craigslist for a few months for 300 and when i picked it up he also threw in all the tooling for it that i didnt see listed so i feel it was a good deal :D

Did he throw in the bananas also??:)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

frosty glad to see you back . around here no one wants a horizonal mill so they go for next to nothing or scrap this guy just wanted it ou of his way when i handed him the hundred he didn't want to take it but as he threw in the tooling and a nice lyon cabinet i made him take it he got rid of this to make room for a harbor frieght mill&drill and said the tooling don't fit well i wasn't going to argue with him as he made it clear the he new more then i would ever know so i guess 30 bucks for r8 arbor wasn't worth it for him

The grooves may have been for sealing it to the firebox. Kind of hard to tell what diameter it is. All of the steam locomotives that I have seen had some pretty big boilers on them.

I don't recall how the valving was done on the steamers, but I do not recall that they ported the pistons for steam transfer. Unless all of those holes were added later. Then it could be one of the drive pistons.

I got a boiler face plate and the tube diameter is about 3-1/2". I don't know what kind of boiler it came off of as the whole face plate is only about 60" across, so that doesn't look like a face plate to me. Water tubes on a train may be smaller but they look pretty small for even a train so perhaps a piston head is correct.

I own a small building with 4 one bedroom apartments in it in the old industrial part of town. Everytime a tenant moves out I inherit their trash.
Recently, one left a box springs (no mattress). I ripped it apart and threw the foam away and cut the coil springs free with a cutting wheel on my 4" grinder. That left me with about 40' of 1/4" rod for small projects.
Another left me an unused railroad tie. That's the wooden tie, not the rail. I cut a length of it and set it about two feet into the ground, belted the top with 2"x 6" pieces and my 200 lb. anvil just fits on top held in place by a couple of half-moon pieces of 2" stock fit into the indentures on the base and nailed to the tie. I used the rest for a vise stand. I've yet to afford a good leg-vise. Since I'm just a hobbyist, I have a hard time justifying big expenditures on the smithy. I wanted to attach a jpg file but the attachment icon above is dead. Anybody help me there?

Nice lump! Hope it gets smacked around nicely.

With that box spring, the steel is a medium to high carbon steel and can be used for quite a few things including tools and pattern welding. You can do a lot of interesting things with it if you want to. Could be a reasonable choice for a "cable" pattern blade too.

Phil

I stopped by my favorite garage and ask to look at their scrap bin for any useful goodies. Ended up with 4 each 14 inch rims.

As I thanked the fellow he ask why only the rims, scrappers usually want it all. I reminded him I was a blacksmith and actually use what I take home. He said he had a couple of things in the back that I could have but did not want to give them to a scrapper. He pointed to two floor jacks that had "a problem" and even helped me load them into the van. I think I owe him donuts on the next trip past his shop.

I'd love to pattern weld. I'll need a hotter forge first. The little commercial, one burner atmospheric propane unit I bought won't reach weld heat. Either that or I just don't know what I'm doing. I'm open to any help. I was weaned on coal and when I moved from farm country to suburbs I switched to propane and smaller projects. If I need a weld, I just burn it with my wire feed or my buzz box.

I asked, awhile back, if anyone could identify this blower, but couldn't upload any pix of it. I figured that part out, now, so below are the pix. the blower case is cast with only "S$" cast into it. It has no name on it anywhere. It has a 12" squirrel cage type blower and a 3" discharge. It looks to me like the motor should mout with the motor shaft direct drive. Anybody have any ideas about that? Thanks. :)

19795.attach

19796.attach

Frosty, As long as its mowing not wood cutting its OK. Missed you my friend ( corner gets lonely) grin. Hope you and deb and the critters are doing well.
Ken

Good point. In fact, I'm thinking the next time I go into the woods after firewood it'll be with a Cat excavator. Push em over, saw the roots and brush free and stack it with the excavator. Brother, there is nothing handier on an excavator than a thumb.

The goats and meat lambs can have the grass. No MOW fo me! I didn't pick acreage in the woods because I love a nicely manicured lawn you know.

Regardless, it's good to be back on the road, darned good. Deb, the critters and I are doing pretty darned well considering how hard I tried to kill myself.

YES I'm lucky! Frosty

frosty glad to see you back . around here no one wants a horizonal mill so they go for next to nothing or scrap this guy just wanted it ou of his way when i handed him the hundred he didn't want to take it but as he threw in the tooling and a nice lyon cabinet i made him take it he got rid of this to make room for a harbor frieght mill&drill and said the tooling don't fit well i wasn't going to argue with him as he made it clear the he new more then i would ever know so i guess 30 bucks for r8 arbor wasn't worth it for him

Really good to be back, I missed heck out of you characters.

Yeah, seems folk thinking an end mill is the cats meow is pretty common, since I was in high school shop class for sure. Personally I'd like a horizontal mill, Father showed me all kinds of tricks when he used machine lathe for a mill. I don't remember them but I remember how much he could do on the lathe. Heck, he wouldn't have a mill in the shop, tooling yes, a mill no.

Frosty

I think we hijacked this thread but I don' care. Frosty ya got the right answer. Trackhoes
and skid steers make life easier. As long as we don't tip um over. Great to hear all of you are well. Pet the dogs pat the goats and HUG Deb for me. Hope to one day to get up there.
Ken

couldnt live without my skidloader or international 1466 with loader :D

Fortune smiles! When I got home from work today, a co-worker had dropped off a Champion 400 hand crank forge blower and two sets of tongs. I've been applying The Thomas Powers Applied Anvil Acquisition Technique (TPAAAT) in a broader sense to any blacksmithing supplies. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said it was just rusting in his barn so it was mine if I'd take care of it. It had about 3 cubic yards of dirt dauber nest in the fan housing and judging by the pecan shells, a rodent had made it home at least once. After washing that out it turned freely. Over the course of five hours I was able to completely disassemble it. The gear oil had turned into a brick and the dirt daubers apparently discovered the secret to the cement used in the construction of the great pyramids. Wherever it was stored there was enough moisture that moss had grown on the exterior. It is now in it's component parts waiting for thorough cleaning. I intend to paint it. Does anyone know what the original paint scheme was? Also, would 90 weight gear oil be appropriate once I reassemble it?

thanks,

Mark

A co-worker just dropped off two sets of leaf springs from a Jeep he's restoring. We're leaving Saturday to spend the holidays away. As soon as I get back I'll cut the shackles from those springs and try to make some badly needed spring swages. I had several but gave them away when I moved overseas for a few years. I wish I had them back now.

The gear oil had turned into a brick and the dirt daubers apparently discovered the secret to the cement used in the construction of the great pyramids. Wherever it was stored there was enough moisture that moss had grown on the exterior. It is now in it's component parts waiting for thorough cleaning. I intend to paint it. Does anyone know what the original paint scheme was? Also, would 90 weight gear oil be appropriate once I reassemble it?

Not sure about theh color scheme but painted black with letters highlighted is good. Gear oil is too heavy for these blowers. I use a 50/50 mix of 30wt/ATF. 20wt is good also. The revolutions are slow so there is no heat build up so really all you need is to make it slick.
Now you need to make something REALLY NICE for this friend! Good score