• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went on a 10 hour road trip on Saturday and picked up a small older 1930s model South Bend lathe. The photo on the left is the lathe, unfortunately the young lady's uncle "modernized" the lathe by removing the drive unit, gear cover, etc. and jamming a pulley wheel on the end. I am not knowledgeable on metal lathes, but it the parts of the lathe remaining on it, seem to be in pretty good condition.

The photo on the left is the unit before I removed the pulley wheel. The image in the center is a drive unit I purchased on EBay, which is scheduled to be delivered sometime today. The image on the right is what the left end of the drive unit and lathe should look like.

I also ordered/won four other parts from EBay last night, but still minimally need a tool post, the belt-tensioner, flat belt, v-belt, bit holder, bits, and a stand for it to become functional. I will acquire parts as they are available, and as I can afford them.

17815.attach

17818.attach

Edited by UnicornForge

well it dident acutely follow me home, its found my home all on its own!!!

Picture1.jpg
my new FREE welding helmet from Miller

won the thing from Built It Didn't Buy It contest, for all of yall that get the miller power click news letter i was the entry of the stainless steel fish scalier. hope yall voted for me so i can win the grand prize of the new welder! the helmet was just for me coming in the top 5

6 post vises and a handled fuller fowolled me home tonight i sold one to my buddy so theres only 5 in the pic some are ok some good for parts i'll see what is usefull i think maybe 2 of them are ok and will be getting rid of them and any parts that are ok if anyone is close and looking for one or parts let me know

17867.attach

17868.attach

Orgtwister,
Great find!!! I remeber a vice I got at a garage sale for $5 buck had no spring, no mounting hardware and a frozen screw. I soaked it in a buck of ATF for 1 month then cleaned up put alittle heat on the screw and it opened up the screw was like new. I made all the harware and spring and now it is a great vice I use all the time!!! Have fun with them and those that may be close and need one don't be afraid to get one and make the missing pieces.
Gaylan

6 post vises ... some are ok some good for parts i'll see what is usefull i think maybe 2 of them are ok and will be getting rid of them ...

From the photographs it appears that you have all the critical parts. Springs and mounting brackets are very easily made. As long as you have decent vise jaws and the screw-box everything else is an easy fix. :D

Hi

My brother in law gave me my first Leg Vice last weak.

The jaws is 6.5 inches and quite heavy.

It is marked with a P any suggestions for what it stands?

The stand is almost finish just some small modifications left.

Thinus

17888.attach

17889.attach

Edited by Thinus

Hi My brother in law gave me my first Leg Vice last week. The jaws is 6.5 inches and quite heavy........Thinus

I may not know what the P is for, but I do know that you owe your brother-in-law a big favor for the leg vise. That size is rare, sought after and around here would cost you around two or more hundreds of dollars. :D

The neighbor was getting rid of an old chicken house that was converted to storage by the previous owner. In truth he said "I'm gonna burn it to the ground." I asked if i could go through it before he lit it up and found two pairs of nippers champion no less and an old turning hammer. Couple of old four way lug wrenches as well. Never know what you will find.

• 4 weeks later...

I should not go to flea markets.....

I see the stories about "why buy when you can make...." but darn, you see things laying on a table or callously tossed in a pile and you just know they need a loving and gentle hand to make them come back to life and give them meaning once again. So in the interest of neglected tools every where I allowed the following two to come with me.

18526.attach

18527.attach

I decided I wanted to learn blacksmithing several months ago. I have very little in the way of "discretionary" money so I have to scrounge. My wife supports my plan and accompanies me (she reads her book) ,when I go dumpster diving, alley crawling, and the weekly checking of the trash truck routes. In the last 60 days we have hauled home (2002 Mistsubishi Lancer 4 dr sedan) 100's# of stuff: 7 brake discs, bedrail, bolts, 6 golf cart wheels, pieces steel plate/channel, bolts/nuts/, four 8' L-channel cross beams from storage racks, 5 work stations (2.5" box channel with 3/16" tables welded on) from a tire shop, a disc brake caliber assembly, steel plate punched to be the base of street lamp, rebar, and on and on - I couldn't list it all. All it for the cost of gas and a soda for the navigator.

Yesterday I went to the local Habitat for Humanity place that sells left over building material. Found seven 1.5 x 7" steel bolts, four heavy duty hinges (for the smithy I will build) and four pieces steel plate 3/16 x 4" square all for $14.00. I also went to the scrap steel yard. Hard to explain what that was like, maybe like being a blind dog in a meat house ... where to start first? Long and short of it is this; found three industrial strength springs, and a gear off of a dozer all for $0.25/ a pound. Cost me $15.00. I have a great head start on my work. Need just a few things more to build my forge and round up a starter piece of steel big enough for an anvil.

If I can ever figure out the steps I'll add some photos ...

Tim

divermike -
You really are lucky ... I am reading a book titled "Metals Technic - A Collection of Techniques for Metalsmiths" Edited by Tim McCreight 1992 ... pages 31 & 32 describe the squiggly thing you have in photo 3 of 8 ... drum roll please ... its a "sinusoidal stake" used only to make anticlastic forms in metal forming. You will have to google that to get a clearer picture of the differences between synclastic and anticlastic ... great find!!
Tim

Edited by Tim McCoy
Spelling

Hey unicorn I just saw you posting on the south bend lathe it looks like the same one that I have burried in my garage I think I gave the guy around 300 bucks for mine about 8 years ago the apron was broke once apon a time but someone did a nice repair job and it travels just fine. I just need the flat belt to make it work maybe I will dig it out today I did find a guy that makes the belts online. Do you make your own belts? I will also need one for my common sense trip hammer soon

divermike -
That's it! Bends that go both ways ... although the technical stuff tries to make it sound technical what that tool amounts to is something that will let you make shapes that are akin to a well done potato chip ... bends both ways. I like your description better. Have fun with it.
Tim

Hey unicorn I just saw you posting on the south bend lathe it looks like the same one that I have buried in my garage I think I gave the guy around 300 bucks for mine about 8 years ago the apron was broke once-upon-a-time but someone did a nice repair job and it travels just fine. I just need the flat belt to make it work maybe I will dig it out today I did find a guy that makes the belts online. Do you make your own belts? I will also need one for my common sense trip hammer soon

I paid $140 for the lathe, as there were more parts missing and broken than were still on the lathe. The lady's uncle used a hammer to peen down fasteners, and remove parts that got in the way of his "modernization" when he installed a pulley wheel on the end of the pulley shaft. I have not purchased a belt yet, as I am still trying to acquire the missing and broken parts, and still figuring out how to remove fasteners that were hammered flat. The back gear apparently needs to be removed both to replace the eccentric mounting shaft (broken handle and pin hammered flat) to install a flat belt. Anyone that would help remove the back gear, the peened fasteners, and help get the lathe functional, I would worship like a demi-god. :D

Meanwhile I have other projects more pressing. I need to finish the Traveling Forge, repair the trailer to carry the traveling forge, house repairs, fence repairs, laundry, dishes, day-job, move stuff out of the old farm-shop building that is falling down, not to mention finish documenting the construction of Civil War era canon wheels for a book that I am trying to write.

I am afraid that the lathe will have to be a long-term repair project, unless I can figure out how to remove the peened-down fasteners and remove the back gear. :(
I have all the parts to build a roller-mill except for the two rollers. I may have to pay someone to make the rollers for me, as I don't see the lathe as being done soon. :(