• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

picked up this forge with blower and anvil (170 pounds)for 250 bucks and about 10 buckets of coal not sure why the guy i got it from had a brakedrum in the forge the fire pot and clinker breaker are in perfect condition not sure of who made the anvil i have seen them before but can't remember so if anyone knows let me know i will get beter pics tomorrow these are the ones the guy selling them had the anvil has to mounting holes on the base and a tool steel plate

17286.attach

17287.attach

17288.attach

17289.attach

The mounting holes and "clunky look" are indicative of a Fisher anvil, doe it have a loud ring or more of a thwap sound when you hammer on it?

Fishers are a GREAT ANVIL and particularly good for working indoors or in thickly settled areas.

Edited by ThomasPowers

thomas it does go kinda thud and heres beter pics of all the stuff we picked up me and my buddy split the buy he took the anvil as i have 2 anvils any way and he has none and i took the forge and coal some tongs a home made buffer and theres a pic of a big gate hook i forged out of stainless just cause i had to make it all work when we got itout of the truck at my buddys and for the stump it was just something we had its to small as you can see

17294.attach

17295.attach

17296.attach

17297.attach

17298.attach

17299.attach

17300.attach

17301.attach

17302.attach

I've had these laying around for about 10 years, they are (were?) nuts from a pitman ram assembly on an Ajax 500C forging press. They were moving a frame at Ajax in Cleveland when I was on internship there, bumped another frame which fell off its blocking (about 6 inch fall) onto the nuts threaded onto their respective bolts. I got to cut these nuts off, and they let me keep them to present in class later that year.

Let the jokes fly, I know you are thinking them.

They are medium carbon, I think 1030, but might be wrong. I have no idea what to do with them since they are not clean paperweights. I'm open to suggestions.

Phil

17307.attach

17308.attach

..... I have no idea what to do with them since they are not clean paperweights. I'm open to suggestions. Phil

You could rub them with a 3M pad from the hardware or grocery store to remove the loose rust, then spray them with Clear Krylon Epoxy spray (or other brand) from your local MegaHugeMassiveMart. The spray will turn the rust black and allow you to use them as clean paperweights. :D

Or you could weld/add pieces of metal and create a nut-cracking sculpture. :D

120 degree outside swage crossed my mind, so was opening one up and having a texture swage. They are not fun to cut though, I only have abrasive cutoff wheels.

I don't have a welder right now, and lack a large number of tools. They have been boxed up so long I begin to feel it is wasting the metal.

I would rather not use them as sculpture, but later using them to _make_ sculpture might be a welcome possibility. I have so much to learn and reading is not enough anymore.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

pickedup this vise today found on craigs list at first i thought it was repaired legvise with the leg missing but after seeing it it was made the way it is the plate that looks to be a repair is fited into the leg as it was made that way the guy i got it from said his dad got it from the brooklyn navy yard many years ago if anyone knows the make or what the proper name would be i would like to know anything about it

17702.attach

17703.attach

Saddleboat,
I may be quite wrong, but that looks quite a bit like the plug used for driving piping through earth and under structures. Often used for installing water line or gas line for the last few feet by the house to prevent digging up valuable landscaping.

The one I used was a sharper point though, and a number of years ago.

Phil

on thing i forgot about the vise its huge its 25 inches high and weighs 80 pounds and i would love to see the anvil size that would have a 2 inch hardie to fit this if thats what the idea was and how tall you have to be to use it or like thomas said a step ladder

saddleboat that looks like a old boring bit or boring mole like they use for big pipe or tunnels through dirt like going under roads i would bet that it is really hard

G'Day all , just won this on ebay OZ

Louie - the FLYpress

12 ton flypress

Should come in handy too

Dale Russell

Hooley dooley, we get some big flies here in the Latrobe Valley, but they must be huuuuge over there in the Yarra Valley if'n ya need a 12 tonner to press em.

All Right Dale!
All of us at T & L Forge are happy for ya!
- - - - - - - - - - - - My Crew
:P - - - - - - :) - - - - - - - - - :( - - - - - - - - - - :cool:
Happy - - -George - - - - - -two Fingers - - - - and me

We are all ImPRESSED with your new treasure!!!!
Ted Throckmorton