I Forge Iron

Dating a post vise.

BillyBones

Just wanting some info on clues to when the vises were made. For instance i know that at one time the mounting bracket was held on with a tennon rather than a wedge and collar early on. Not looking for exact date just round about period dates. Like for instance around about when did they go from a rivet holding the movable jaw to a bolt? I am trying to get a round about date for my vise. It has a rivet while most i see have a bolt and you can see hammer marks on the components, uneven bevels, etc., so it definitely had some hand forging done to it when made. Thanks in advance for round about answers. 

I did do a search for the topic but could not find any thread on it, so if this is a repeat just directions to what i am wondering would be plenty. 

Think i will say "round about" 1 more time. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't recall seeing one riveted; but I've seen and owned several that had a mortise and a wedge.  Unfortunately the fellow out here who knew the most about vises was Frank Turley and he died in 2020.  (Dated one of mine with a tenon mount and mortise and wedge holding the pivot pin in place as being "pre-1800".  Not a bad deal for US$20 at Quad-State one year.)

One of my post vises has that wedged pivot pin for the movable jaw and I got to looking at it and the body the yesterday when the sun was beeming on it and it looked like that vise was forged welded together using smaller strips to build up the body,

i took some pictures but they aren’t great, I’ll have to clean it off and get some better pictures of the lines

B1FF20D1-4DAA-4B27-B683-C6E8257517F2.jpeg

ED4AC64F-2E92-4A48-B8DA-EBA7383FB03A.jpeg

032EF4F5-D930-4B54-89D4-99A997B55255.jpeg

Randy started it! Lol :P

sorry BillyBones, 

I know my big Trenton post vise is dated 1902, it looks to be barely used and in original condition, and it has the nut and bolt on the pivot, but it also has all the fancy looking bevels on the plates and body,

The Peter wrights I’ve seen had bevels on the bodies, but I never paid attention to the pivot pins,

fisher just went off on their own design lol:lol:

all The Arthur O Learys, Columbians, keen cutters, iron city’s and Indian chiefs I’ve had or seen

aren’t dated but they didn’t put the bevels on the body’s, and they all used nuts an bolts on the pivots, 

I know Columbian made various vises all the way up till the 1980s? Till they sold out to Wilton, but I’m not sure when they stopped making post vises I’m sure that probably stopped in the 60s or 70s when smithing tool sales disappeared,

so I’m guessing that any post vise that has the wedged pivot pen an decorative bevels  has got to be mid to late 1800s,

but I don’t know what would identify a post vise made in the 1700s to early 1800S

Anybody who knows me would be more surprised I was driving a convertible. 

Yeah, the thread subject made a lot of us smile Nat. I'm having to practice restraint myself. :ph34r: 

Is it dressed up Scott? Wearing lipstick at least I hope!

Frosty The Lucky.