I Forge Iron

Mr Volcano video

Mikey98118

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

Mikey - would you recommend using BXI Ceramic Fiber Thermal Insulation Board for a forge floor instead of a IFB? Everything will be coated with Plistix 900 before using. Just seems like the brick would take more accidental drops/scrapes better than the fiber board.

Brassa

I would only recommend it for insulation under a high alumina kiln shelf used as the floor. Otherwise, you are far better off to go with a floor made from one of the new insulating bricks, with Kastolite 30 over it, and if you wish, Plistix 900 over the Kast-O-lite. Do I think that the Kast-O-lite is better than Plistix? NO, NO, NO!!! But Plistix is just too expensive to use in a thick enough layer--even for mad scientist types :P

I think the ceramic board is a fine choice for walls, ends, and ceiling parts, with at least a Plistix 900 covering, but better with a 1/4" thick layer of Kast-O-lite, and then covered over with Plistix.

But then, anyone will tell you that am more into dragsters than family cars :rolleyes:

Simply think about why I suggest these things; then mix and match as you see fit. Over the last twenty years I have repeatedly suggested perfectionist answers to these kind of questions and have learned to expect and accept that others won't see eye to eye with my views; so long as you think things through first, suit yourself; it will be okay.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is known already, but figured I'd let others know if not.

I sent an email to Mr Volcano's customer service, asking about when the Hero forges would be back in supply on Amazon, I was looking to get one as I was getting tired of the firebrick and MAPP-torch forge. I just got a reply from them. The gist of what they said is that they will no longer be manufacturing forges, but will continue to supply forge materials and tools, like the satanite, kastolite, rigidizer, and steels/heat-treat oils. They said the heightened market competition made it too challenging for them to sustain their operations in a fiscally responsible manner.

Very sad to hear personally, I was looking forward to getting one. But I'm happy to use their rigidizer and satanite on one of those super cheap forges with a silly Amazon name.

That is sad. at least there are a few other good commercial forge designs still available on the low end of the market, even if the very best deal isn't around anymore. A couple of the all stainless steel oval forges are still worth picking up, although you would be well advised to replace their burners...

That is a bummer!  Glad to have got mine when I did, would have kicked myself for not jumping on one.  I haven't seen too many others in this price point that were USA made, which was a plus.  One year of ownership now, just did a complete satanite recoat, and on second firebrick.  Most fun things made so far are RR Spike Knives.  I understand, not the most original, but I do enjoy making them.

20240301_200903.jpg

20240204_134259.jpg

20240204_135409.jpg

20231017_181209.jpg