I Forge Iron

Green Energy Solar Forging

Jason Fry

Ha!  We've had some discussions about using parabolic reflectors for heating metal for forging and while it is certainly possible to get a piece of steel up to forging temperature with reflected sunlight the consensus is that it is too dangerous and impractical when compared to gas, solid fuel, or induction forges.  The hot zone at the focus of the reflector is invisible and it would be really easy to get something vulnerable (like your arm) into the heated area.

I have an old 8' satellite dish is my yard and I have thought about coating it with aluminum foil to make a solar forge but the amout of heat and the damage it could accidentally do has kept me too scared to try.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Back a-ways I planned out a solar forge based on an early Mother Earth News solar collector made from 1' mirror tiles and equipped with a sun tracking device they had the plans for too.  Then after living in NM for a year I realized that the common high winds would destroy it, (as well as the hail storms, that first year they had SOFTBALL sized hail!)

It was a lot of fun designing it though.  Generally in the NM summer; we tell folks we put steel in the forge to cool it down!

Hmm…now y’all go me wondering if some kinda solar deathray contraption wouldn’t come in handy melting off my drive way after ice storms! 

boy howdy I could mount it on the tractor an just poke along melting everything off! might come in handy for when we get those 4” snow blizzards too! :lol: