I Forge Iron

Another one for the Rainbow Bridge

Frosty

We adopted our downstairs cat Damascus a little better than 15 years ago. She was scheduled for the vacuum chamber the day Deb and a friend of hers Julie stopped by the shelter, they took a girl's days out  a couple times a month mid week and decided to put their name on a black and gray tabby kitten. Deb and I have veto rights where pets are concerned so they gave me a call so I'd come straight home from work. We headed to the shelter for my approval and while there we took a medium hair orange tabby too. Damascus was my birthday present so I got to name them both. I named Damascus because she looks like Damascus steel sort of and I named the orange boy "Mokume Gato" for the obvious metal head reason.

Well Damascus has been showing her age for the last year or so but still doing pretty well. The last couple days she started down hill fast so we made the call and I'm taking her in to set foot on the Rainbow Bridge about 14:30 our time. I have mixed feelings, sad it's her time of course but happy she'll no longer feel old and miserable.

I feel really good about taking a kitten with a couple hours to live and giving her more than 15 good years. She made some really fun times, she earned the name, "Princess Damascus Bug's Bane," for her indomitable hunt for bugs, she regularly launched herself off furniture to snatch flying insects out of the air. Good times, great memories.

Tonight we're going to BBQ some crab cakes and hold a little wake for her, maybe split a bottle of wine and tell some of her stories. I'm betting she'd would like a crab cake.

Frosty The Lucky.

As hard as it is to let out furry family members go I have always felt that taking them to the vet when they are old and sick with no hope of anything better is the last gift we can give them.  I figure that they will all be waiting on the other end of the rainbow bridge and asking what took me so long and did I bring treats.  Also, on the other side they can carch the red dot, and it is delicious.

Out thoughts are with you.

George and Madelynn

My Tigger is 15 and had her as a pup. I spend a lot of time making her time now as good as she made mine and so many others these last 15. Its a full time job. If you don't mind, the two of us will share your wake tonight. 

Thanks guys, Damascus is getting to know her new playmates across the Rainbow Bridge, it's all good now. It was an easy passing, she purred till the anesthetic took hold and the last was over quickly. Baxter and Ronnie are concerned, Damascus didn't come back with us from the vet so they consoled us all the way home.

It turned out I was wrong, we brought Damascus to our vet to be spayed in early December, 2006 so she was almost 16 years old. The vet's records don't show when she got her first shots and we may have taken her to a shot clinic. 

Our feelings exactly George, letting them go when it's time is part of the deal and one I try to honor. I feel better letting her go than watching her decline so I'm feeling pretty good right now. 

Turned out Deb has to be somewhere tonight so we'll hold Damascus's wake tomorrow night. Anybody is welcome to celebrate with us, she loved everybody. Especially if you had a cat allergy, she definitely had that kind of sense of humor. I'll think on some of her amusing stories.

I think I'm having a crab cake or two tonight, I picked up plenty and Deb's off at Barn Hunt.  Zataran's rice reheats nicely so Deb won't miss out on anything. I won't eat it all, I promise!

Frosty The Lucky.