I Forge Iron

Reaming hole drill bit size?

7 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Frosty, did you notice that link you gave said to not sharpen split points?

I saw that and it made me look pretty closely to see if they had any sales links. IIRC the site is sponsored by or affiliated with drill and bit manufacturers but don't appear to have ads themselves. The don't sharpen split point bits advice is to maybe encourage you to buy new. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like NO mention of the sharpeners designed for split point bits? If I were a suspicious person I'd think there was a marketing ploy at work here. 

On the other hand large shops would spend more in lost time sharpening bits than buying in bulk. The state shops spent a couple pennies per bit in bulk so each drill press had  a coffee can for dull or broken bits. They used to toss them in the trash till I put the cans out. I have a 2-3 lifetime supply just needing a touch on the grinder. :ph34r:

Might try turning some into split points, I've never gotten around to it.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not to keep going on about what grandpa did but he must have been making or trying to make his own bits.  When I got his lathe, among other odd stuff was a can of rods with one flute cut in them.  Some have two.  There were all sizes, they must have been rejects.  I still have them in a box "somewhere".   I sure wish I had been old enough to spend some shop time with him, some of the stuff that came with that lathe still makes me scratch my head. 

Hand sharpening bits is a satisfying and valuable skill.

Sharpening drill and lathe bits is satisfying for sure. Grinding special lathe bits even more so. I have a blue wheel for carbides. Sometimes a boy just can't get over the addiction. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

On 6/10/2022 at 7:04 PM, anvil said:

The only time I use a reamer in my shop is for oilite bushings

We used them in the violin shop for fitting tuning pegs; there was a jig with a matching taper for shaving the pegs themselves. When this had been done often enough that the holes were too big to fit any available pegs, we’d ream the holes one last time, glue in an oversized maple dowel (shaved to match the taper, of course), and drill and ream a new set of holes. Arguably one of the most precise jobs in all woodworking. 

"I'm waiting for Involute Gear Cutter Doctor to come out."    I think Godot will be along before then...

I once plugged the pivot hole in the moving jaw of a 5" postvise by drilling it back round, counter sinking both sides and heat shrinking and riveting a plug in and then  grinding the faces flat and redrilling to align the jaws that were quite a bit off in the vertical dimension.  Did that a couple of decades ago and the vise is the one on loan to the University Fine Arts Metals Instructor so it get a lot of rough use---still working great!