I Forge Iron

Buying first forge

Duckkisser

It’s been a continuing trend unfortunately. They truck it in from the old Vintas mine in OK which I think brings it in from Utah via train. The price isn’t horrible but the continued increase in price with the decrease in quality has me concerned. They are the only place within about eight hours that I can even get coal reliably. 

I’ve been debating making the switch to propane for a while now anyway for convenience. My forge time is limited and it feels like a waste to light coal when I’m only going to have a couple of hours to work. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Bantou said:

I’ve been debating making the switch to propane for a while now anyway for convenience. My forge time is limited and it feels like a waste to light coal when I’m only going to have a couple of hours to work. 

I'm in the same situation, and switching to propane has made it MUCH easier for me to squeeze bits of forging into the various corners of my schedule. I've even snuck in the occasional half hour during my lunch break (working five minutes from home helps).

1 hour ago, ArmySoldier72 said:

I spent the $88 and bought a Mr Volcano. 

I think that Jennifer/jlpservicesinc got some of these for her smithing school. You should check with her, though.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:41 AM, Bantou said:

It’s been a continuing trend unfortunately. They truck it in from the old Vintas mine in OK which I think brings it in from Utah via train. The price isn’t horrible but the continued increase in price with the decrease in quality has me concerned.

I haven't bought any Vinita coal since they closed the mine(s).  When I bought "real" Vinita coal, it was $70/ton.  Now the "imported" Utah coal is around $240-250/ton.  I find THAT to be horrible, and...I don't even know what quality the coal is.  Good luck on finding cheap, good coal if that exists anymore.

That’s been my experience with the import stuff as well. It burns and gets hot but that’s about all the good I can say about it. I’ve heard rumors of good cheap coal out East but who knows anymore. 

The usual law of supply and demand is in suspension at present, while hobgobling  greed is running wild. It could take three or four years for sanity to return to the marketplace. In the meantime all we can do is "just say no." So, your path is clear; get a propane fired forge. That way, you have better choices than just taking whatever your supplier wants to dish out.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:17 PM, arkie said:

Now the "imported" Utah coal is around $240-250/ton.  

Correction....I found a quote from earlier that the Utah coal was $225/ton.  Don't know what the current price is.

6 hours ago, Mikey98118 said:

So, your path is clear; get a propane fired forge.

I ordered a Mr. Volcano single burner and a couple of heavy duty fire bricks (to use as a back stop) last night. I’ll order some plistix (sp?) either sometime in the near future or when I need to replace the liner, depending on how it performs. 

I’ve heard good things about the volcano forges from several people. It is also open on both ends so I can work longer pieces. I’m just going to have to be more careful about when I do certain bends. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 11:12 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I know a number of Blacksmiths that started out as woodworkers, then wanted to make their own hardware or tools and now are Blacksmiths that do a bit of woodwork on the side!

How interesting lol. So I work as a carpenter by trade and have been imagining working for myself as a blacksmith and using the carpentry job as just fun time to supplement income? lol you mean to say that this day dream could become a reality?! 

Do they sell forges that are already completely assembled? I thought most of the time they send the shell and the materials to line and insulate the inside and instructions? If that were the case perhaps work with someone else who will design and calculate materials for you then its just the assembly from instructions designer might provide?

I just bought a mr. volcano. The shell and burner come pre-assembled. The insulation an refractory are provided but end user installed. I haven’t been able to put it together yet but the instructions are very clear and should be easy to follow. 

On 6/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, Frosty said:

Ditto, go propane but don't get rid of your coal forge. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Many people will probably assume that gas forges are all I can see. That's just not so. I first looked into gas forges for the sake of my lungs. After more than forty years welding for my living, I felt like the proverbial canary in a mine shaft. So far as what's cool, I'm all for well designed coal forges. But for use by sickly old men...not so much. For people who have healthy lungs, and enough smarts to see to good strong ventilation; have at it.