I Forge Iron

strange pattern in axle

Duncan M

I was cutting an axle today to make a hammer and I noticed some strange patterns on the cut faces. The pattern appeared on both ends of the hammer billet and I cut the axle with a horizontal band saw. If anyone knows what would cause this I'd be curious to know.

275639307_722926992218621_188435475585596105_n.thumb.jpg.70ac7dd51ed33c6fa1fde54fbd8ac1ca.jpg275074237_1124174528438293_1353552359407679076_n.jpg.68044b61ec3c8b3dcf68ebdda3b65be5.jpg

That's what I was thinking George. I'd be tempted to cut a thin slice grind smooth and acid etch it. I'd keep the etched slice as a souvenir for sure.

It suggests a catchy brand name too. "The Pattern Welded Axle Hammer."

Frosty The Lucky. 

I’ve seen that before and I took it as an effect of the actual saw cut, kind of like tooth chatter.  Try making two cuts rotating 45 degrees between cuts to see it the pattern alway follows the cut direction.

David

Actually, I think that is called ghosting. It’s caused by the harmonics of the tool. In this case a saw. I’ll try and find some info.

Edit-found this. Good explanation of what’s going on.

If you measure the distance from the edge of the material to the edge of the "eye" along the cut lines, you will find that the distance is always the same. You will also find that this distance is also the same as the tooth-to-tooth distance on the blade of the band-saw used to cut the material. Essentially, the "eye" is just a "ghost" of the material edge shifted along the cut by one blade tooth and will match the shape of the material. Hex stock will make a hexagonal "eye", octagonal will make a octagonal "eye", and square will make a rectangular "eye". 

The teeth on the band-saw blade are slightly offset, in alternating directions from the center line of the blade. This is done so that the kerf (width of material removed) is larger than the thickness of the main part of the blade so that it does not (ideally) rub on the material and build up heat. 

The ghosting happens because as each tooth enters or exits the material, rather than cutting slightly to the side of the previous tooth due to its offset, the side of the blade not it the material flexes to the side causing the kerf to be narrower. On the entrance side of the cut, when the next tooth enters the material, the blade flexes to the other side giving the previous tooth sufficient support to cut offset from the blade center-line like it is supposed to. Once the tooth ahead leaves the material the blade outside of the material again flexes to the side such that the following tooth again rides it the center of the cut. 

If you were to carefully measure the faces of both sides of the cut, you would find that the kerf in the "eye" area is wider that the kerf near the edges. 

If it is really and issue, less cutting pressure (and/or slower down-speed) will also reduce the side-load on each tooth, reducing blade deflection and "ghosting".

10 hours ago, Duncan M said:

would sticking a slice in white vinegar work to etch it, or would I need something stronger?

The usual acid for etching steel and iron for grain examination is nital, 2-3% of nitric acid in ethanol. That said, you're not doing a microscopic examination of the individual grains, so start with white vinegar and move on to something stronger as needed. Just make sure to polish your sample first.

Thanks everyone, I looked up ghosting and would definitely agree that that's what the cause is. I guess that means there would be no point in trying to etch a piece then.

Goods, I am sorry that i misunderstood your original post.

DANG! Learned something new AGAIN! There goes another memory from my overcrowded and dented brain. Oh well, Deb doesn't really expect me to remember anniversaries anyway.

Thanks! Thanks for the original question and pics and thanks for the answer. Much appreciated.

Frosty The Lucky. 

No, I don't REMEMBER the tree hitting me, all the evidence is circumstantial but I'm pretty sure anyway.

You're TRYING to get me in trouble aren't you Randy? Don't make me get even. 

Truth is my memory filing system got scrambled so all the memories are hiding in the wrinkles and start moving around if I search very hard.

Frosty The Lucky. 

10 hours ago, Randy Griffin said:

Actually, I think that is called ghosting. It’s caused by the harmonics of the tool. In this case a saw.

Randy you have it.  I have seen this pattern thousands of times in many different materials...

As to microfiche, every now and again I pull up something that was "lost forever".  May we only remember that which can be therapudic, cathartic, edifying, or necessary...

Robert Taylor

I can remember things from years ago going back to my childhood. Just don't ask me about what I had for lunch or breakfast today.:) As far as ghosting is concerned, I also learned something today that I have never heard of. To be honest, I've never looked at the end grain of stock that the bandsaw cut, as long as it was the correct length and square it's good to go.