I Forge Iron

So Proud

Anachronist58

One thing I have learned with a standby generator is it must be run occasionally to be certain it will start when needed and to "exercise" the generator portion. Try & remember to do that at least quarterly. Our generator is wired through a transfer box so all I have to do is switch from commercial to generator by throwing the switch. I was lucky the transfer box was free when the city switched to an automated system at the waste water plant. The generator will run the whole house as long as I switch the upstairs electric wall furnace breaker off. The downstairs is heated with a propane wall furnace and the generator will run it's blower. We have a propane range & water heater.

The generator shed with the transfer box. It was installed by myself with the help of my late FIL who was a master electrician and inspected by the power co. who put the seal back on the meter.

100_2225.thumb.JPG.a89d27622aca6a01ed4bfa0699f56aad.JPG

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Get rid of that cobbled up furnace breaker, get a real 2 pole.

Steve, who happens to be a Master Electrician for 34 years IBEW 305

Thanks for that, Steve. I was going to do something like that, bought two SP 30A breakers because two poles were out of stock.  Started reading up on it, and concluded that I could get some electrician killed. That project got put on hold. gambling with my own life is bad enough...

Robert Taylor

There is reason why Electricians are Professionals - electricity is not a toy.

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

That's a nice set up Iron Dragon.  That's what I was talking about. 

Twistedwillow is the best mechanic under the sun!  Bar none...  If he can help a small engine klutz like me fix a generator from half a continent away, he can fix anything!  Won't be hungry, cold or stombeling around in the dark tomorrow night.

I ran an female outlet in the garage to a receptical behind the refrigerator only. Plug the generator into the outlet and shut the garage door. Fumes outside. Unplug refrigerator and put in LABELED outlet, extension cords to anything else. Cannot feed anywhere else. Uses standard extension cord.

615htTp12vL._AC_UL320_.jpg

1 hour ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

One thing I have learned with a standby generator is it must be run occasionally to be certain it will start when needed and to "exercise" the generator portion. Try & remember to do that at least quarterly.

Randy, good to point that out to folks.  I do the same, particularly in the fall so that if there is a problem, there is time to fix it before one REALLY needs it.  I am not a generator expert by any means, but folks who are recommend "flashing" the generator often.  Apparently, there is a residual magnetic field in it that will degrade over an extended time.  When periodically running the generator, they recommend plugging in a load such as an electric heater or other high wattage appliance to help "refresh" the magnetic field.  Each time I run mine, I plug in a heater to do just that.  Anyone have any other info on flashing generators?

It's good to have Steve Sells, being a master electrician, on line to help keep folks straight and safe with electricity.

15 minutes ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

:blink: I dunno bout that?!? Lol

I just believe in credit where credit is due.  Now, about my chainsaw....  And come to think of it my pinecone blowers been acting up...... Do you have any idea why my old Ford 9n used to vaporlock so bad?  What about..... ;)

Arkie,

preventative maintenance is the key to keeping all small engine machinery in top running order, 

I’d say 75% of what ends up in my shop is caused by either operator error and or lack of any kind of maintenance, 

Only 25% is truly parts failure 

You can plug a corded drill into a generator and then take a cordless drill and chuck the two together, and rezap it if the field goes dead

Mr Scott, we can fix em up!

All we’re gonna need is a can of carb cleaner, a flashlight, box o tools and a ham sandwich! 

i might just have to start a small engine maintenance/repair thread! Lol:P

No snomageddon yet but i got my generator running yesterday. I really don't see why it takes so much pulling. As usual had to start it on propane, warm it up, then switch to gas to get it to run on gas.  Probably is a gummed up carb.

Ill probably run the gas out of it today and get some fresh stuff in it.

20 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Arkie,

You can plug a corded drill into a generator and then take a cordless drill and chuck the two together, and rezap it if the field goes dead

Twisted, I've seen videos where they hand-spin or twist the chuck on a corded drill, but wondered if that really worked.  If you chuck a corded with a cordless like you describe, does it make any difference which way the cordless spins?

I’ve had luck a couple times trying it, I bumped it backwards and forwards,

I think it depends on the type of generator head too,

maybe something to do with the winding’s, or maybe it’s the ones that have the modules under the end cap, I can’t remember, 

anyways I don’t think that trick doesn’t work on all types of generators, 

Probably common knowledge, but all my gas operated small engines get fed the highest octane and low to zero ethanol.

I have a 10K solar system minus batteries ready to install. And I run my shop on a generator. Not many tools, power hammer, drill press, and a pedestal grinder.