I Forge Iron

So Proud

Anachronist58

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Purple Bullet, I see that you show little resistance to dating yourself...

Yes Scott, DCEP...

Here is my weld in the only form you will see it on this forum.  Not only is standing and walking more challenging these days, BUT, I will need to cut my electrodes in half, to control my newly acquired excessive whip tremors... 20220113_164425.thumb.jpg.13b860d79f7733495a29fe39f18e3650.jpg

The shorter the electrode gets, the better my welds... oh for days of yore...

I think we are all falling apart Robert.  I know I am, at an accelerating pace... :)  Keep at it best you can.

My generators not for welding though.  Lights, fridge, run the food chopper if needed in a pinch when the power goes out.

Billy, it's a briggs and stratton.  I dumped some gas in the cylinder and it ran for a bit and died.  It's like new but 15 or so years old.  Probly 5 hours on it.  Small engines make me upset!

20220114_174032_compress89.jpg

1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

and it wont start

I Run into that problem Every time I need my generator. Really makes me kick myself for not spending the extra on electric start.  Seems like I pull my shoulder out before it wants to run. 

The genny I have now works on propane or gas. Seems like once it is warmed up on propane then itll run on gas easier.  Same for me on having it just to run fridge, freezer, and furnace blower really.

Might have to drag mine out tomorrow and see if I can make sure itll fire up. Thank you for the reminder. 

Wecome, Aric.  I'd like one that plugs into the side of the house and kicks on automaticaly when the power goes out.  

Billy, if you would help me with that I might have to make you a "mechanic at work" metal sculpture of some kind and ride along in the delivery truck.  Perhaps you could help me via pm?

I would like one of those as well Scott. Even to install a switch plate panel seems above my expertise. Ive added brakers before but never a whole board, and to tie it in... 

I just run extension cords to the necessities. Maybe one day Ill have the money to get fancy. 

2 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Scott, Your carburetor is gummed up,

My uncle cleaned a plugged jet in my dads genset carb, After three of us pulled our shoulders out.  Started right up. Mine has electric start.  Glad to see you guys getn er done!

If you want auto start, you will also need a power transfer switch to prevent it putting out power to the system when the main power returns to service, plus its a major NO-NO to just plug it in with out protecting the linemen working on the lines due to your generated power backfeeding the lines

Steve, I agree 100%, they call those suicide wires around here, I’ve heard of it ending very badly for people when the power comes back online that generator can go off like a stick a dynamite,

when I was still in the navy there was one time we were pulling into port and there was a miscommunication after we hooked onto shore power and the aux generators were still powering, 

two sailors got fried when the main switch control panels exploded an electricity arced through them…

One the gas engine side.
Even with electric start, if a carburetors jets and Venturi tube is gummed up they won’t start or will run really ruff, 

Also if the float and needle an seat get varnished it won’t let fuel flow,

the best thing anyone can do is never put ethanol in small engine machines and always ad stabil to any machines that set for extended periods,

some people try to suggest running the fuel out but that dries out all the rubber components in the fuel system, but that eventually will cause fuel problems as well,

If you add fuel stabil to fresh high octane non ethanol fuel, it will hold up to a year of storage,

then just burn it off and restart with fresh fuel and stabilizer, 

I've told the same customers this same thing for a decade, and some listen to me and some pay for the same repair over and over because they won’t do it…

then when there’s a snow storm in the forecast they freak out and I end up with a hundred generators, chainsaws, and log splitters at the shop and people calling every five minutes…<_<

Ah yeah, the good old repeat customers. We've had people wreck their cars driving home after picking them up from the body shop. Ill be honest and say I'm not the best with small engines. Thank you for the advise. I will try to remember that. Got a chainsaw that I guarantee is plugged up like that.  I do try to keep stabil around to add now. You are right in saying add to Fresh gas, as it doesn't help or fix old gas. 

As for back feeding the system, good point Steve. I read about the dangers of doing that years ago. Some might not know that you could Kill the person out trying to fix your lines through back feeding. I at one point thought I'd just shut off the main breaker but then how would you know your power is back on..  until I get the proper genny switch panel installed Ill stick to just plugging in to the genny what I need. 

Funny enough we don't lose power as often for storms since I think most suspect trees and other stuff have already fallen,  been fixed and upgraded, but I never trust that I won't lose power. 

Since I brought it up I must say, unless I missed it, I don't think anybody said anything serious about Do It Yourself instalation.  I and others stated what we use it for.  Welding, lamp, fridge, spice grinder.....  Maybe I should have said:

"I'd like a professionaly installed one that plugs into the side of the house and kicks on automaticaly when the power goes out"

If a body doesn’t have a professionally installed transfer switch and standby generator,

they make a special extension cord that plugs into a portables receptacles and distributes the power evenly, 

since we are talking about it I thought I’d mention to anyone reading that doesn’t already know, Always remember set your generator OUTSIDE!!! Never run one in the house or garage, Exhaust fumes are dangerous, 

With that said, you can run a extension cord through a window and use bathroom towels to seal up the crack around the cord,

then hook up your fridge, heater, cook stove ect… 

I’ve only personally met one individual who was hmmm…. Let’s say Ignorant enough to use a suicide wire an when the main power came back on he was lucky to have a house… that generator was fried, 

A2511BEF-B779-4094-B61B-D368918BB8A9.thumb.jpeg.0b4d3e11777357b5da1d38b2facb0c99.jpeg

As an Electrician's Mate in the Navy . . . I was taught the correct way to do generators . . . never have two of them on the line together unless they were absolutely designed for it to happen.  But even then . . . there were accidents like described above.

When I decided to fix ours up so we could use a generator . . . I started with an auxiliary panel  . . . put the stuff over there that needed to be covered by the generator . . . as I could not afford a whole house one.

It started with an auxiliary panel . . . and a dead man (for want of a better term) switch in the bottom.  That switch has two sources of electricity coming into it . . . the main power . . . and the emergency power.  They cannot intermingle . . . because the switch is designed so that when you move it . . . it turns off one circuit before it turns on the other.  Pushing it to the left gives me normal power . . . to the right gives me emergency power.

We started out just using an inverter . . . with all LED bulbs in the house . . . and surprisingly the inverter would give us computer and lighting power for several hours off of one 12v automotive sized battery.  

But the generator will power everything except the electric stove and the AC unit.  I have a wood cook stove . . . and fans if necessary.

Anyway . . . this design is safe . . . both for me . . . my family . . . and the linemen who would be working on our lines.

Picture 1 & 2 shows the panel with the dead man switch in the bottom . . . picture three shows the electrical connection to the auxiliary panel on the right.  The fridge, freezer, lights, TV, and computer all are hooked into that panel . . . powered normally by normal power . . . by the emegency power supply in other times.

May God bless,

Dwight

ELECTRIC PANEL 1.jpg

ELECTRIC PANEL 2.jpg

electric panel auxiliary copy.jpg

Get rid of that cobbled up furnace breaker, get a real 2 pole. they wont always trip as a pair the way it is rigged, leaving the electrician a surprise when he thinks it is tripped and start to work on it

Steve, who happens to be a Master Electrician for 34 years IBEW 305