I Forge Iron

Everything and the kitchen sink

SHC

I want to build a solid fuel forge that can burn both coal and charcoal, bearing in mind charcoal will be easier to get my hands on and could end up being the primary fuel.

Y’all reckon a ceramic lined sink could make a good fire pot? Cause I just found one on the side of the road. It’s a double, but I can cut it. HEAVY. Roth guess, around 70 pounds. 

pics incoming soon

These are measurements taken with my iPhone’s built in ruler. It’s not always very accurate but I think in this case it’s close to spot on. Ceramic is in great shape except around the edges, 3/8” uniform thickness throughout, that’s not a rolled/stamped edge. Cast iron maybe? 
I’m kind of thinking it may be a bit big, but it was free. 
A friend of mine has a metal welding table frame he wants to give me. I have some fairly heavy sheet metal the original owner of my home left behind the tractor repair shop, angle iron and access to more angle iron. 
I think if this sink isn’t deemed ridiculously too big by the experts here, all I need is plumbing and a blower to build a pretty sick forge. 

C10FF288-6948-46F4-880C-34AD2F864053.thumb.jpeg.c839a68c23d50e458bd7a87fbb631b38.jpeg4A38B572-DA5E-444C-95B1-360B06D640D4.thumb.png.70ad93125232cb14b516497dc4bcff41.pngF5D4E1BD-23CE-4349-BC2F-4239EFAB8DB4.thumb.png.9d655a0dfc76089aacf1540cac016171.png5523DF17-8583-442B-9BC7-495A034BFBB0.thumb.jpeg.d040a16279e0924362ef497babf624b9.jpeg

If it’s made from cast iron I’d line it with clay to keep it from cracking on you, just like the cast iron rivet forges, 

plumbing in air would be pretty easy, you could use the other side as a coal bin,

I say set that dude on a steel stand line it with clay and give it a try,

Also you already got four built in tool holders! 

Now charcoal works well with a trench forge; will you be filling that with dirt?  Also the hot spot needs to be where you can push the workpiece in HORIZONTALLY!  How are you going to raise the floor up so that the hot spot is even with the top edge?

Coal and charcoal are sort of like gasoline and diesel.  They both work and work well; but the engines are a bit different!  Switching back and forth takes some changes.

It looks pretty deep. You would have to fill it up quite a bit to bring your fire up to where you could actually lay stock in flat..

It seems possible to do, but there are plenty of other objects that would be much easier to make a forge out of IMHO.

Cross posted with Mr. Powers; he was slightly quicker on the draw.

Edited by Frazer

If you've got some sheet metal and angle iron, you can weld up a forge in a workable size and configuration with significantly less hassle than it would take to make the sink kinda work. You would be much better served by selling the sink to a scrapyard or an architectural salvage place and spending the money on fuel, steel, or/or tools.

Meh. I’ll set it to the side for now. Didn’t even think of simply building a fire pot from the sheet metal I already have *facepalm* but it’s not just super heavy duty. I believe it was used to patch things like mower and bush hog decks, because It has patterns cut out of it and I’ve seen metal like it used for that purpose. This is speculation. I was able to pick it up and lean it against a wall easily enough and I’m not a real stout fella anymore what with a bad back and hips. The sink was more of a struggle.

I need to pick up a small welder. Wife and I are planning a trip to Home Depot for a new washer and dryer, hopefully this evening, may see what they have there. Got a trained welder in the house, might as well get him to show me a few things before he hits the road again. 

47 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

How are you going to raise the floor up so that the hot spot is even with the top edge?

Five gallon bucket of red dirt clay from the side of the road where he found the sink? :lol:

come on y’all, I think it’s worth trying, if it don’t work he ain’t out nothing but time, 

I see y’all’s points and I agree welding up something from steel is easier, but I also think it’s fun to experiment with different forge designs,  

If it was me I’d drop a scrap piece of pipe in the drain that’s reaches flush with the top and fill in around it with red dirt, pack it down hard then throw a tuyere grate over the opening, fire it up and see what you can do! 

that wouldn’t cost much if anything and could be done in very little time, 

if it don’t work then save the the pipe an grate for the next forge, break the clay up loose agin and plant some flowers in the sink! 

I agree it's possible and even relatively easy to do. I just feel there are lots of vessels out there (probably even in his own possession) that you wouldn't need to fill up with... Let's see... Assuming a 10" depth that's 1.47ft^3 per side, density of dry dirt is ~76lbs/ft3 (clay would be even heavier), minus a bit for the pipe... That's ~200#s of dirt to make work. Or half that if you're only doing one side.

Sure, it doesn't have to be all dirt, but still.

I like your "can-do" spirit though, I suppose 100# isn't that heavy. Flowers in the sink for everyone! :D

Mr Frazer,

you smart people with all your math and science! lol,

I just figured dirts free an a guy can borrow a shovel if he ain’t got one, why not give it a try? 

Note: if the forge did end up working a body could then forge a shovel so he don’t have to borrow one again,

if the forge don’t work then the flowers will make a person feel better about their forge plans goin down the drain… :P

1 hour ago, SHC said:

Didn’t even think of simply building a fire pot from the sheet metal I already have *facepalm* but it’s not just super heavy duty. I believe it was used to patch things like mower and bush hog decks, because It has patterns cut out of it and I’ve seen metal like it used for that purpose.

My own side-blast forge is welded up from 16 gauge sheet; the bottom pan of my old JABOD forge was even thinner. 

When I was at college there was a guy who had a dispute with the town about what he could and could not use to decorate his yard... So he bought up about 50 old toilets, planted flowers in all the bowls/tanks and and put them all over front yard. Good times.

Don't be a drip TW!

SHC: You are so overthinking a forge brother. An old kitchen table and a couple buckets of dirt will make a perfectly useable side blast forge. I made one in the side yard of my mobile home long before I heard of the JABOD. Same principle though, dig a trench in some dirt that can be packed down and put the air pipe so the air enters from the side about midway. A couple firebricks to make a fire back are nice, building it a wooden box so it holds it's shape better is nice, making a steel box is nice.

Nice but not necessary. Find an old chest of drawers, some packable dirt and a piece of black iron pipe you're good to go.  You don't need to drill holes in a shallow box if you run the tuyere in lengthwise, just angle it downwards over the far end. 

This is just a portable hole in dirt. 

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, LeeJustice said:

Coal on one side, charcoal on the other.

That's an interesting suggestion. If the OP has a way to safely cut the sink down, cut the 2 sides so the floor of the sink has about a 3 inch lip on each side. Make a bottom blast ducks nest firepot for coal on one side and a side blast for charcoal on the other side.:D

You can try to move the discussion out of the bathroom, but now I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO BUILD A FORGE FROM A TOILET?

Cause I have one of those too, and that would be AWESOME!