I Forge Iron

Everything and the kitchen sink

SHC

I have two angle grinders I consider disposable even though they’re good. I rescued both from the dump when I dropped off some trash. Had to replace the bearings and power cord on the Dewalt I found, the Makita is like new in the case, but it’s not the normal 4” size and no one around here carries attachments for it. Then I have my brand new Dewalt that I bought right before I found these.
I have a pile of cut off wheels thanks to a communication error combined with ignorance when I made an online order. I ordered the wrong thing then I was sent the right thing and it didn’t show up so they sent the wrong stuff again but it was wrong so they sent the right stuff and everything showed up at once so now I have a dozen cut off wheels of each size. 

Frosty thinks I’m overthinking, and he’s right. But just so y’all know, I dragged my wife to Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Best Buy to pick out a washer and dryer. Told her to take her pick, whatever you want. She couldn’t find what she liked, and we’ve both had to wash clothes in the bathtub during the lower parts of our lives. So it’s kind of a trend here in my house I guess. Speaking of, I need to go get a load started now. The washer and dryer we have work, but not well. Gonna upgrade and donate these to someone that needs them.

I did find the welding machine I think I’ll get, but I hadn’t had anything to eat but a pop tart early in the morning and I was acting like a bit of a diva if you can believe it. So it was high time we hit the road and grabbed a bite. we went to Applebee’s, it was gross, and we made it back to the house with a pair of work gloves I liked from Home Depot. 

I guess we’re just picky. I left the house fully prepared to drop about 3 grand on appliances and a few other wants and needs… and bought nothing but a pair of work gloves and some sub par food.

SHC, there were nearly new Samsung washer and dryer in this house when we moved in a couple of years ago and they have been really good in use.  However, it is just the 2 of us and we only do a few loads per week.

Part of the problem with buying appliances these days is too much information on the internet, many models, thousands of reviews, multiple vendors, etc.. And once you have made a decision you find out that the model you want is on a container ship in the middle of the Pacific and won't be available for 3-4 months.  I'm not sure that this is an improvement of just going down to the Westinghouse dealer and getting whatever model they had on the floor and having it delivered the next day.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Speed queen builds a pretty bullet proof machine but they are expensive,

My old boss had them in the laundromat and those things lasted over 20 years with tens of thousands of loads, and I rarely had to work on them 

i know people who run them at home and love them, 

That all being said, personally I’m cheap though lol,

the amana washer that came with my house 8 years ago finally gave up the ghost back in the early summer and I didn’t wanna put the money in it to bring it back online so I just bought a new $400 amana at the furniture store in town, 

Kenmore dishwasher that came with the house went down a couple months later and I just replaced it to, I think I gave $350 for it,

The Maytag dryer that came with my house has a motor that’s going out so here soon I’ll probably replace it to, lol,

I used to repair appliances but it’s hard to put $200 parts on a $400 machine so I just trade out, most of your cheap machines will last over a decade in the average house anyways, 

the nice thing about dealing with the small town appliance and furniture store is I can walk in and find what I want and ask the salesman (what’s your best cash price?) and they always knock $50-$60 off since they know I’ll pay cash same day and not fool around with financing or credit cards, 

I also haul my own appliances, im not paying $40 to have them haul something out and install it, 

But if I was to spring for higher end washer an dryer I’d personally go for the speed queen, 

just my two cents,

like George said there’s a million reviews on a million appliances and a lot of routes a body can take, 

Around my way, if you haul your old appliances to the curb, the scrappers will taken it before the end of the day. 

(Just make sure you strip them off anything useful in the forge first. That’s how I got the sheet metal for my first JABOD.)

There's a family owned appliance shop near me and they mainly do repair and sell refurbished appliances. When my washer went ( I would have repaired it but it was also rusting out underneath and was too far gone) I ended up finding the same model in very clean condition for around $200. I saved a few parts from the old one and scrapped out the rest. 

I should say she did find what she wants, but George N.M. called it. It’s on back order for 3 months. So she didn’t find anything she wanted that was actually in stock. 
Incidentally, that set is also Samsung. 

I’m going back today to pick up the welder, I hope. Then, again I’m hoping, I’ll swing by my friend’s house after I get home and get my own truck, and pick up this table frame. 
I’ve got “junk”. One thing I have laying around that really interests me now is a crummy grill. It’s small, barrel type. Only reason I didn’t throw it away after the first time I used it is because I kept forgetting to throw it in the truck when I went to the dump. It only gets hot on one end, a spot about large enough to grill one small steak. I hate it. Try feeding four people with that thing. Worst $50 bucks spent on a grill, and the customer service reps for that company can’t be described in family friendly wording. 
But after it’s collected dust for two years… I found it this morning. Two of my sons did all the moving this summer while I was working a ton of OT. I’d forgotten about the piece of junk until I got to looking for my framing hammer this morning before leaving for work. 

My first welder was/is a lincoln pro mig 135. It has served me well over the years. It is actually still going strong for all my lighter welding needs.  They don't sell that specific one any more that I know. The 120v versions are good machines. If you needs heavier welds just V notch the material and make multiple passes. 

Also look at what hobart has to offer. They have really come around in versatility and quality. For heavier welding I bought the Hobart Iron man 230. It can be a bridge welder.

I do love my lincoln welder tho. 

Went to pick it up, out of stock. My second choice, a Lincoln mig welder, is also out of stock. 

Continued the search for a new washer and dryer. Found three sets at three different stores my wife likes. Out of stock. Earliest available set is a month and a half out.

And they say online shopping is killing brick and mortar stores. Can’t help but wonder why.