I Forge Iron

New and looking for advice

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the trench from my first JABOD and I used it until the box fell apart from being outside. It lasted well over a year. 

Pnut

PART_1611138721532_IMG_20190626_0918161.jpg.92f7707616c3a31583e5fc64f50fea79.jpg

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

If you're using charcoal you can BBQ over a JABOD. ;)

Frosty The Lucky

I have a grate that I throw on my JABOD to cook a couple cheesy mets as I pack everything up and the charcoal is burning out. It's become a tradition I suppose. 

Pnut 

How's everyone been by the way? I haven't had a consistent device to use to log on to the internet lately. 

Letter openers, hooks, nails, bottle openers. Punches, chisels, drifts. 

Investing in a couple of good pairs of tongs is money very spent. If you want a less expensive alternative, look at the precut tong blanks from Ken's on line. Remember: if you can’t hold it, you can’t hit it. 

Here are some of the longer stock pieces I have, I'm thinking I can use the thinner round piece to make a punch and chisel, I think I'll save the flat piece for a set of Tongs later, it's similar to what I saw used in a black bear forge video (thank you to Daswulf for the round stock pieces)

20211211_121927.jpg

20211211_191503.jpg

If we hadn't run out of time I'd have sent you home with more. :) time flies when you're having fun.

Stop out again and we can raid my outside scrap. Or just go right to tag teaming some tongs. Sorry we didn't but I don't jump into that at first and start off with some basics. Plus I needed some refreshers on making tongs.  

It won't hurt to attempt some tongs. Worst case is failure, and you can try again later.   But it will be a learning curve with a first firing of a jabod, trying to see how it goes and works out. And first use of your setup. 

Do you have a punch to punch the hole for the rivet? Could start straightening some of that coil spring to forge a punch. Its all tough starting out. You build your knowledge and skill as you go. No problem really jumping in. Just be safe about it and its all good. 

The grill is just a stand/platform for a forge. It is only mentioned as they can usually be found for free discarded in the trash and already have legs, sometimes some wheels and some tin. Think of it as a premade forge table.

The tin on them is on the thinner side. They could be turned into a bottom blast with a heavier thicker forge pot or filled with dirt, sand/clay mix to make a side blast. No grill is really better or worse its just a matter of how you want to utilize it to make a forge. Neither would hold up to the forging heat without a fire pot of some kind. So its all about how you can utilize one to suit your needs. 

Clay can shrink and crack if it has too much water when you put it in. A mixture of clay and sand with as little water as possible is better: less shrinkage. 

Stainless steel is overkill for a forge, but a stainless steel beer keg makes a great slack tub. 

A scrounged or salvaged BBQ grill is a box on a stand you use for a JABOD. 

You don't actually use the grill from one unless you're grilling steaks after the session or burgers for lunch.

I don't know of a pottery type ceramic that won't melt in a blown charcoal fire. 

Bentonite is a very high fire clay, it's the mud used to close the tap hole in iron melters. A mixture of 3pts sand, grog, etc. to 1 pt. bentonite with just enough moisture to ram hard. will produce a mixture that can be rammed hard and withstand solid fuel forge temps.

Frosty The Lucky

You'll want to powder kitty litter so it mixes evenly with the sand or grog and don't use a lot of water. JUST enough you can squeeze a lump in your fist without it leaving it dirty.

Bentonite takes time to temper, add moisture, mix, cover and let sit overnight at least and test. (squeeze) if it crumbles it wants a LITTLE more water, just a sprinkle, mix and temper over night. If it leaves streaks on your palms it's a little too wet, add a LITTLE more (sand/grog, bentonite), mix and temper.

That's the basic game but you aren't mixing and tempering "molding" green sand so close is good enough. Just remember, if you make mud it WILL shrink check as it dries and form cracks.

Frosty The Lucky

Id think play sand might be better but it wouldnt be hard to screen out any overly large chunks. 

I do not know if that sand has any chunks that could spall with enough heat. If it wouldn't spall with heat it is a "try it and let us know how it worked" kind of thing.