I Forge Iron

What in nature are y’all thankful for?

TWISTEDWILLOW

Yeah, smoke is a bad sign now days. I'm thankful the FD, Forest Service and Air Guard, got a house fire on the hillside above Anchorage out before the forest caught. It was an all hands response with a helicopter making water drops around it. 

We're sweating fires again this year and the hillside above Anchorage is steep, has limited road access, minimal water and crowded sub divisions. 

We dodged serious badness Sunday afternoon.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are thankful for our crops to be growing. 

the little green sprouts of corn, WOO HOO

and the hay is growing real nice. 

With these two fields we see alot of wildlife at the top of our property.

Deer, badgers, coyotes, gophers, a ton of different birds. 

ARMY

SE Oregon

corn-220524-500.jpg

Hay-220523-500.jpg

corn-220523-500.jpg

Fields look nice!

One of the dogs was barking none stop a couple days ago so I walked out to see what he had treed but it turned out he didn’t have anything up a tree instead he was barking at this very annoyed turtle that was trying to find its way outta the yard,

I helped him out an set him over the back fence so he could head over to the pond,

202C0433-694C-424D-937D-9AF3E2D7A252.thumb.jpeg.491afa654363efb612a7298a6df8c8be.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Recently I've had a small horned lizard AKA horny toad outside my shop and my wife reported a huge one in her raised bed garden today.  Unfortunately my neighbors pet lizard---5 to 6' long, got loose and was in the alfalfa field when they mowed it for hay---definitely a "Thoracic Park" experience for the guy on the tractor!

My horny toad:

1391434259_KIMG0171(2).JPG.183dfe56dd4383a2b0f11029a54e8a50.JPG

The front section of my neighbor's lizard:

1030772528_KIMG0172(2).thumb.JPG.ba27a85c706f536d140f78470a251cad.JPG

An old friend of mine had a darned big iguana he'd been raising for a couple decades. It was pretty docile and actually liked being petted once she had time to get to know you. Then one say John had her out sunning in the kitchen window when the wife opened the door and it made a bolt out. The last anybody saw she was about 25' up in the birch trees across the road. 

She probably loved life till fall then it was curtains, short term sub freezing maybe, 20f highs not a chance.

When I lived in S. Cal. we'd ride in front of the mower in alfalfa fields and shoot rabbits as they flushed. Very few farmers would let you hunt on foot as missed shots or through and throughs, would travel farther. Shooting down from horse back you have the planet for a back stop. You had to be pretty close to see them running through the alfalfa and shotguns were cheating. I caught ribbings for using a semi auto, AR7 survival rifle.

Good times and rabbit that's been eating alfalfa is pretty good good eating themselves. Mmmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've got about 8 acres of field that I either just mow with a rotary or cut for hay with a sickle mower. For some reason, maybe it's the vibration of the machinery, pocket gophers will come to the surface an run around like mice. Ounce in a while they get hit by the mower or a tire. About a minute latter a raven will come along and grab it. 

On 7/22/2022 at 3:58 PM, ThomasPowers said:

It was scary how long it continued moving after is was cut entirely in two and disemboweled.  Now it stinks.

I wonder what it was thinking about.

You should have cooked it or buried it out back by the smell by date.