I Forge Iron

Inflated metal dragonfly with rose

58er

Mr. George N.M.,

Writes, "... take time to stop and eat the roses".

Folks in Great Britain, were encouraged to eat rose hips during world war 2, in order to get a great dose of vitamin c. They had way more vitamin c than oranges.

Fruits and vegetables were hard to come by in wartime England.

Herr Frosty,  Carboniferous dragonflies were very much larger than today, but so were the bugs they fed on. There were no mammals, nor birds in those days.

Please do not intentionally kill dragon flies they eat all manner of mosquitoes and other noxious insects. Also, please do not disturb the pterodactyls.

SLAG.

9 hours ago, SLAG said:

Herr Frosty,  Carboniferous dragonflies were very much larger than today, but so were the bugs they fed on. There were no mammals, nor birds in those days.

There's some correlation between the size of insects and the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere. 

Pnut

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

carboniferous proportions

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, pnut said:

There's some correlation between the size of insects and the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Yup things might get fun as we gear up for another warm spell an O2 increases! 

How can I work Murder Hornets and Giant Man Eating Cockroaches into this thread.....  I wonder... 

Allergies are tricky; especially in the way that for some things, exposure can turn you allergic.  I grew up in the 1960's getting penicillin for almost yearly strep throat infections.  Until the year I broke out in hives!...  Now I wear the "penicillin allergy" medic alert tag along with the "DIABETIC".  Had quite a discussion with the factory security in Juarez about wearing them through the metal detectors  till it got bounced up quite a bit higher and it was deemed "allowed"---along with my insulin pump!

Many years ago we were drilling bridge and culvert sites on the Alcan highway near the Canadian border and tenting. It was dragon fly mating season, they were everywhere often flying coupled. It was my turn to flag traffic so I spent a lot of time controlling traffic and watching dragon flies. Being as we were drilling a bunch of small streams it was mosquito country and we were standing in a constant cloud and each of us had a can of bug repellant.

A dragon fly got stunned by a passing motorhome windshield and was crawling on the pavement so I picked it up and put it on my coveralls. The first thing it did when I picked it up was bite me, it was a surprisingly strong pinch but what really fascinated me was the mandibles. It had two pair one above the other and seemed to work horizontally and vertically. I understand why it bit me, I'm larger and moving so it's food and it defended itself. I let it be on my coveralls and it wandered around.

What I didn't realize because I hadn't given it any thought is my little buddy was spreading dragon fly mating pheromones on my clothes. Before long I had dragon fly visitors, they'd land, stay for a while, maybe do a little wandering then leave. The drivers I stopped got a kick out of my rider and and visitors. Then I was surrounded by dragon flies eating mosquitoes drawn to my warm tasty blood. We were on those sites for two weeks and once I got marked I stopped getting mosquito bites. Rubbed my tent with my coveralls and within a couple minutes dragon flies were landing on it and I stopped getting mosquitoes in the tent.

There's a funny thing about using mosquito spray, it may keep them from landing and biting but it doesn't repel them, it attracts the ones familiar with what's hiding under the stuff. Orange top Cutters or Deep Woods Off are popular, DEET is good but tends to dissolve plastic things you come in contact with. Literally, one of the state trucks I drove on the drill crew has my finger prints permanently imprinted in the steering wheel. You'll be attending a gathering: BBQ, picnic, etc. and folks are getting mosquito bites, all normal. Then someone gets out the Cutters and all of a sudden everybody else is being swarmed so everybody has to spray up before they're too weak from blood loss to defend themselves.

I'll take my dragonfly top cover over bug dope ANY DAY.:) I LOVE dragon flies.

Frosty The Lucky.

Mr. Nodebt,

Wiki dragon flies and check the pictures. There is at least one photograph of two mating flies that are in flight.

SLAG.

Mr. Frosty,

talked about Cambrian era flies. I think that he meant, the Carboniferous era.

SLAG.

Mating dragon flies, see below. I was being delicate. :)

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9Dt3BudtfGNwA6PBXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANDMTMyMV8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=mating+dragonfly+images&fr=crmas

With my memory now I'd have to open one of my paleontology books to get the age, era, etc. accurately. I just picked carboniferous because insects were large, it may not be the age of GIANT bugs but they were big.

I go to Cambrian for weird critters, can't use general terms for arthropoda of the time, it was life brainstorming possible good designs. How about 5 eyes or a mouth on the end of a stalk, how would you classify those? Give them their own is how the scientists do it. 

Frosty The Lucky.