I Forge Iron

American Flag scales

GutRot

Thanks Latticino yeah I checked them out and can't find any of those anywhere and the company Mental Co doesn't make them anymore it seems. Or reply to their emails. 

Glenn, indeed 27.1 million results but I couldn't find any selling American Flag scales. If only I was making the handle out of search results!! But seriously I've searched quite a bit and found nothing. Frankly I'm shocked if no one makes American Flag knife scales for retail. You'd think that would be an obvious seller to American knife makers or maybe it's too cliche? Or is it maybe considered disrespectful to the flag? Maybe my search results are throttles because I'm in Canada? 

Conclusion, customer is getting is getting a wood handle.

Haha it's fair man you see all those handles already made with them and it seems obvious at first glance but there is nothing! Really strange to me that no on is making those. I mean American patriotism + knives just seems like a given but no where to be found. 

I tried making one with a small flag and 2 part epoxy but after several very lame looking attempts had to stop as I need to get the project done and every attempt requires the wait time of the resin setting. Not going to give up on the idea but won't have anything ready for this in* a reasonable time.

If you guys see anything let me know please! Still kinda shocked this isn't a thing.

Edited by GutRot
Spelling error

I don't know if knife scales would fall into this category or not, but I believe it is illegal to use the flag in advertising.  It's also prohibited to make clothing out of the flag, and there are a number of other particular provisions regarding the use of the flag.  Penalties for misuse may vary from state to state.

While those laws may still be on the books they were shot down on 1st. Amendment grounds. There was a real spate of arrests and suits in the late 60s when folks were burning the flag along with their draft cards and bras. Nobody served time. I see the American Flag in advertisements everywhere, saw a bottle of booze with a flag label. 

I'm thinking flag knife scales just aren't selling anymore. 

So charge time and materials to make micarta scales. You can buy star, paper punches. Pick the appropriate colors of cloth, cut and stack the pieces. Once placed in a clamp it won't take much vacuum to saturate the cloth with resin. 

Get good at it and you might make a niche market for yourself.

Frosty The Lucky.

MOD NOTE: The legality of various forms of representation and display of the American flag is a legitimate subject for discussion on IFI. Political commentary is not, per the IFI Terms of Service. The comment that violated this policy has been removed, as have the comments that followed from it. 

26 minutes ago, Deimos said:

cant those things just be 3d printed?

Interesting idea; I would assume so. It might be cool to print the red and blue and then cast the rest with a pour-in white resin. One might also print the flag with wavy lines, as if rippling in the breeze.

I would have used a smaller flag, if I had used a flag at all, to get the entire field of stars and all 13 stripes on. As it is, I see a piece of the American flag. 

I'm kind of with Irondragon on this.  I am slightly uncomfortable with the flag being used as decorative element on or in most anything.  I'm not an absolutist and I have seen uses that are tasteful and respectful to the symbol of our country.  One of the reasons I think the flag should be approached carefully when thinking of using it as a decorative element is that it is often used to try to demonstrate some sort of cheap and shallow patriotism.  The sort of thing that says, "Oh, look at me.  I've got a flag on my house, truck, lapel, etc. and that proves I'm a patriot."

That said, the flag is still just a piece of cloth that is a symbol, not the actual thing any more than a photo or a bust is not the actual person depicted.  Therefore, respect or disrespect is at least one step removed from reality.  Loving the flag is not the same as loving the country in a meaningful way any more than tearing up the photo of someone is not an assault on them.

There are plenty of other American patriotic symbols that can be used that do not involve the actual flag.  The 13 star/13 stripe shield and the spread eagle are two.

And I do understand, more than most, Irondragon's thoughts about people who have died for their county but I understand that they sacrificed for the country, not the flag that is a symbol of the country.  I usually only mention this around Memorial Day at the end of May but while we have a number of military veterans here at IFI I may be the only old combat infantryman around.  50 years ago I was leading an Infantry Platoon in Viet Nam.

Sorry to get so philosophical but the use of the American flag as a decorative element is a sensitive subject that needs to be considered carefully.  Everyone has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with and who might agree with their decision and who might not.

Thoughtfully,

George

LTC AUS (R)

late of 1/C/1/12 Cav, 1 Cav Div (Airmobile), RVN 1970-71  

My dad was drafted served in the road runners. Unfortunately I was born and raised in Canada after he left the military. Again no disrespect ment at all and will certainly consider all this next time I am asked for such a thing. I'm super proud that my father is American and served in the military even of he was only stationed in Germany. The American who asked for this also lives in Canada and uses his radio show to push for Alberta to become the 51st State. I don't believe for a second that he would intend to be disrespectful either.

Gutrot, just to make sure you understand, I was not trying to imply that your use of the American flag in your context was in any way disrespectful.  I just wanted to point out my own feelings and to put out there that this can be a sensitive subject, both pro and con.

I suspect that the prairie and mountain provinces and states probably have more in common with each other than they do with the eastern states and provinces of their respective countries.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Your use doesn't push my hot buttons; I just didn't know if you knew the correct makeup of the US flag with that CA location. I know I couldn't do a proper Canadian flag without checking---though I can probably do the Mexican flag being on the border down here.

What does torque me; is when a business puts in a LARGE American flag and then doesn't maintain it.   I went in and talked with one telling them that yes it is their First Amendment Right to show their dislike and disrespect of the US Government by displaying a flag in tatters; but I thought  it reflected poorly on their business.  As it was an advertising gimmick to them; learning that it had the opposite effect resulted in it being replaced.