Jump to content
I Forge Iron

Recommended Posts

Hello!!

i am having a problem with my hydraulic press. After normal, periodic use, I blew out a filter and thought the filter must just be defective. But now the new filter is deforming, and I don’t know what the problem is. I made a YouTube video explaining my system, and the problem more in detail.

 Any advice anyone could give me would be amazing. Thanks for your help. 
 

-joshua

Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive me for saying this AGAIN but a video jerking around while you talk is more distraction than useful, especially when I had to sit through the whole thing to finally hear about the filter. A couple still shots attached to a post with the necessary details is FAR more useful.

Your 200 psi filter. The previous poster missed it probably because he was cross eyed by time you mentioned it. You have your filter on the return side of your control valve so if your pump produces more volume than the filter can carry the filter will be exposed to higher and higher pump pressure up to max. 

Put it on the pump's pickup side, if it's too restrictive the filter will crush and NOT spray oil all over the shop. The reality being it's almost impossible to crush a filter, they are small and short and the only crushing force is ambient air pressure. Right?

Of course if you bought a filter and mounting hardware speced to take say 75% pump pressure or well more volume you wouldn't have a problem and wouldn't have to replumb.

Frosty The Lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please find, borrow, or purchase a tripod and USE IT.  You lost me at 0:10 and by 0:30 I was starting to get motion sickness.  Or take still photos and then video the still shots to add commentary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What does your gage read when the valve is not actuated (center postion)? This will show what it is taking to pump oil thru your basic circuit (back pressure). If it is above 75-100 psi you have a restriction somewhere and that is probably the source of your problems. Slamming the valve open and shut and inducing huge pressure spikes while forging with everything close coupled isnt helping either. Hoses do have an accumulator effect to damp out spikes. Nothing wrong with a low return filter, as long as the return truly is low pressure. Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

 

Regards,

 

Brian

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm only chiming in not because I'm an expert but just through what might be dumb luck, I stumbled across a tripod equipped youtuber (fire creek forge) who just built something similar. He describes the same problem in his video. there is a little valve in the filter housing that broke off and ended up blocking the return line after the filter. He replaced it with a new filter and "housing"? that didnt have the little valve in the top like yours does. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, Meridianfrost said:

The manufacturer disagrees with your assessment, frosty. 

Which assessment? The one where I opine you are not using a filter with sufficient pressure or volume rating? As I said then and below filtering the intake side of the pump is a least desirable location that will work. 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:55 AM, brianc said:

Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

Nor am I Brian, though you CAN hear cavitation in time to prevent damage. IF you pay attention to the machine of course.  It's just an alternative to using a filter large enough it won't burst in use.  

Dayne could certainly be correct and there is debris blocking the flow in the filter housing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The filter is on the return line, not the intake line. You suggested to put it on the pickup line. Is that not the intake? Sorry if i'm not understanding what you mean. I appreciate your patience!

32 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Which assessment? The one where I opine you are not using a filter with sufficient pressure or volume rating? As I said then and below filtering the intake side of the pump is a least desirable location that will work. 

Nor am I Brian, though you CAN hear cavitation in time to prevent damage. IF you pay attention to the machine of course.  It's just an alternative to using a filter large enough it won't burst in use.  

Dayne could certainly be correct and there is debris blocking the flow in the filter housing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

 

On 10/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, ThomasPowers said:

So why are you asking us and NOT the MANUFACTURER?

I'm asking because i have done everything according to the manufacturer's instructions, and I am having a problem. I lack the testing equiptment to see what the pressures at the filter are when it's in use. so I was hoping that someone might see something that immediately looks off to them, or who have had a similar problem.

55 minutes ago, Dayne said:

I'm only chiming in not because I'm an expert but just through what might be dumb luck, I stumbled across a tripod equipped youtuber (fire creek forge) who just built something similar. He describes the same problem in his video. there is a little valve in the filter housing that broke off and ended up blocking the return line after the filter. He replaced it with a new filter and "housing"? that didnt have the little valve in the top like yours does. 

Thanks for that. Yeah yeahs, ill get a tripod lol. I have ordered a new filter and manifold, so I am going to try replacing the whole housing. THanks very much for the input!

On 10/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, brianc said:

What does your gage read when the valve is not actuated (center postion)? This will show what it is taking to pump oil thru your basic circuit (back pressure). If it is above 75-100 psi you have a restriction somewhere and that is probably the source of your problems. Slamming the valve open and shut and inducing huge pressure spikes while forging with everything close coupled isnt helping either. Hoses do have an accumulator effect to damp out spikes. Nothing wrong with a low return filter, as long as the return truly is low pressure. Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

 

Regards,

 

Brian

 

Thanks very much for the input. Its the nature of a forge press to have those pressure spikes, and that was a concern going in to it. I will check out the back pressure tomorrow, and get back to you. I don't know why I didn't think of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 6:50 AM, Frosty said:

Put it on the pump's pickup side, if it's too restrictive the filter will crush and NOT spray oil all over the shop. The reality being it's almost impossible to crush a filter, they are small and short and the only crushing force is ambient air pressure. Right?

Personally i'd put the filter " between the tank & the pump " , rather pick up any crud " before the pump / control valve / cyl  " then after it's gone through everything . 

Dale Russell 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...