I Forge Iron

Hydraulic press filter problem!!!

Meridianfrost

Hello!!

i am having a problem with my hydraulic press. After normal, periodic use, I blew out a filter and thought the filter must just be defective. But now the new filter is deforming, and I don’t know what the problem is. I made a YouTube video explaining my system, and the problem more in detail.

Any advice anyone could give me would be amazing. Thanks for your help. 

-joshua

Forgive me for saying this AGAIN but a video jerking around while you talk is more distraction than useful, especially when I had to sit through the whole thing to finally hear about the filter. A couple still shots attached to a post with the necessary details is FAR more useful.

Your 200 psi filter. The previous poster missed it probably because he was cross eyed by time you mentioned it. You have your filter on the return side of your control valve so if your pump produces more volume than the filter can carry the filter will be exposed to higher and higher pump pressure up to max. 

Put it on the pump's pickup side, if it's too restrictive the filter will crush and NOT spray oil all over the shop. The reality being it's almost impossible to crush a filter, they are small and short and the only crushing force is ambient air pressure. Right?

Of course if you bought a filter and mounting hardware speced to take say 75% pump pressure or well more volume you wouldn't have a problem and wouldn't have to replumb.

Frosty The Lucky.

What does your gage read when the valve is not actuated (center postion)? This will show what it is taking to pump oil thru your basic circuit (back pressure). If it is above 75-100 psi you have a restriction somewhere and that is probably the source of your problems. Slamming the valve open and shut and inducing huge pressure spikes while forging with everything close coupled isnt helping either. Hoses do have an accumulator effect to damp out spikes. Nothing wrong with a low return filter, as long as the return truly is low pressure. Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

Regards,

Brian

I'm only chiming in not because I'm an expert but just through what might be dumb luck, I stumbled across a tripod equipped youtuber (fire creek forge) who just built something similar. He describes the same problem in his video. there is a little valve in the filter housing that broke off and ended up blocking the return line after the filter. He replaced it with a new filter and "housing"? that didnt have the little valve in the top like yours does. 

On 10/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, Meridianfrost said:

The manufacturer disagrees with your assessment, frosty. 

Which assessment? The one where I opine you are not using a filter with sufficient pressure or volume rating? As I said then and below filtering the intake side of the pump is a least desirable location that will work. 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:55 AM, brianc said:

Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

Nor am I Brian, though you CAN hear cavitation in time to prevent damage. IF you pay attention to the machine of course.  It's just an alternative to using a filter large enough it won't burst in use.  

Dayne could certainly be correct and there is debris blocking the flow in the filter housing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The filter is on the return line, not the intake line. You suggested to put it on the pickup line. Is that not the intake? Sorry if i'm not understanding what you mean. I appreciate your patience!

32 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Which assessment? The one where I opine you are not using a filter with sufficient pressure or volume rating? As I said then and below filtering the intake side of the pump is a least desirable location that will work. 

Nor am I Brian, though you CAN hear cavitation in time to prevent damage. IF you pay attention to the machine of course.  It's just an alternative to using a filter large enough it won't burst in use.  

Dayne could certainly be correct and there is debris blocking the flow in the filter housing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:26 AM, ThomasPowers said:

So why are you asking us and NOT the MANUFACTURER?

I'm asking because i have done everything according to the manufacturer's instructions, and I am having a problem. I lack the testing equiptment to see what the pressures at the filter are when it's in use. so I was hoping that someone might see something that immediately looks off to them, or who have had a similar problem.

55 minutes ago, Dayne said:

I'm only chiming in not because I'm an expert but just through what might be dumb luck, I stumbled across a tripod equipped youtuber (fire creek forge) who just built something similar. He describes the same problem in his video. there is a little valve in the filter housing that broke off and ended up blocking the return line after the filter. He replaced it with a new filter and "housing"? that didnt have the little valve in the top like yours does. 

Thanks for that. Yeah yeahs, ill get a tripod lol. I have ordered a new filter and manifold, so I am going to try replacing the whole housing. THanks very much for the input!

On 10/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, brianc said:

What does your gage read when the valve is not actuated (center postion)? This will show what it is taking to pump oil thru your basic circuit (back pressure). If it is above 75-100 psi you have a restriction somewhere and that is probably the source of your problems. Slamming the valve open and shut and inducing huge pressure spikes while forging with everything close coupled isnt helping either. Hoses do have an accumulator effect to damp out spikes. Nothing wrong with a low return filter, as long as the return truly is low pressure. Im not a huge fan of pump inlet filters because if they start to plug then your pump gets starved and cavitation could occur.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks very much for the input. Its the nature of a forge press to have those pressure spikes, and that was a concern going in to it. I will check out the back pressure tomorrow, and get back to you. I don't know why I didn't think of that. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:50 AM, Frosty said:

Put it on the pump's pickup side, if it's too restrictive the filter will crush and NOT spray oil all over the shop. The reality being it's almost impossible to crush a filter, they are small and short and the only crushing force is ambient air pressure. Right?

Personally i'd put the filter " between the tank & the pump " , rather pick up any crud " before the pump / control valve / cyl  " then after it's gone through everything . 

Dale Russell 

• 7 months later...

This is a comon problem with log splitters and I have found this out myself but the canister type filter problem is caused by the sudden flow spike when the system is at or near its max and the pressure is suddenly released and there is a very high flow for a short period of time which the filter and bypass cannot deal with. The best way to stop this is by using an in tank type filter and when an excess flow is put down the return all it does is lift the filter off its seat inside the tank and lets the excess bypass the filter. This is why the filter is spring loaded. What I did with my log splitter is made a big washer to fit the bottom of the filter and a strap that goes over the top of the inlet/outlet part of the filter and clamped it all togetter with some threaded rod

• 1 year later...

Hello, my name is Brennan I just recently had the same problem and was wondering if you ever solved it.

My problem is the filter seams to get too much flow and back pressure when piston is released. How would I lower that back pressure im using a 20gpm 200 psi filter and 1/2 hose right there 

Would I even really need a filter if I have a mesh screen on my tank?

Welcome aboard Brennan, glad to have you. What kind of hydraulic system are you using, is it a log splitter conversion or a home build forging press, . . or?

Fixes for log splitter conversions were discussed above. 

No, just using the pickup screen is not a good idea unless you don't mind replacing pumps, ram, valve, etc. more often than necessary.

Frosty The Lucky.