I Forge Iron

Ancestors old shop

My grandpa came over recently and told me about when he was a kid his neighbor (which we found out was a my grandpas uncle) was a blacksmith and made plow blades and other farming equipment. Well my grandpa now is a tax advisor for the blacksmiths adopted son and we might be able to go pick up the anvil that hasn't been used since the 70's and is at least 120 years old and maybe some other forging equipment. Which is cool because I might be able to use my great great uncles anvil. 

- I don't have pictures

Repointing plow blades was a common blacksmithing task when most folks were farmers; much more common than making them new as they were cheaper commercially to buy than making them new.  A good plow point could be repaired by a smith almost indefinitely as they would forge weld on more steel as it wore down in use. 

When I was a SOFA member we had an person in the club who had worked as a professional smith in a farming community and had repointed plowshares as a common task.  The club asked him if he would demo the process as nobody had seen what was once a "bread and butter" task for local smiths.  A could smith could tune the plow point for the local soils so it wouldn't dig or skip.

"Practical Blacksmithing", Richardson, 1889,1890,1891 has quite a bit in it on repointing plows

When I had draft horses I was in a club that did a plow day annual. It was easy to see which plows had beer tuned by the old blacksmith that knew how to do it. He is now gone. I would have no idea now who knows the skill. Just spoke to his son last night and he much regrets not learning the skill

Should probably check auto check before hitting “send” my bad. I was however trying to honor a man that knew more about pointing plows than anyone I have ever known. I do love the puns associated with posts gone awry. Good job guys.