I Forge Iron

Home made aso (anvils)

Welcome aboard Max, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of hooking up with members who live within visiting distance. 

Briefcase anvil because it had a handle, how 60s. You're probably to young to remember but in the 1960s manufacturers would put a handle on something, usually an appliance and call it "Portable." We had a Hi Fi record player that weighed in around 60lbs. but it had a handle so it said Portable Hi Fi on the badge. I think it was an RCA but don't recall.

Nice anvil. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure I might be mild steel, it's got a good bounce to it at the moment, thought the tool steel might stand up to more wear and tear rather that refacing it when I dent it with the hammer, but it might dampen it :/

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

And then there is the military definition of portable....

If it's steel, even mild steel the face will harden up some by use---work hardening.  Planishing any egregious dents you accidentally make will help smooth and work harden the face.  If it's cast iron I would be looking for a replacement for it rather than adding in more effort "gilding a fewmet".

40 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

And then there is the military definition of portable....

If it's steel, even mild steel the face will harden up some by use---work hardening.  Planishing any egregious dents you accidentally make will help smooth and work harden the face.  If it's cast iron I would be looking for a replacement for it rather than adding in more effort "gilding a fewmet".

What's the best way to find out if its iorn or steel

Max: there's no need to quote the message you're responding to unless there's something specific to your reply. It'll keep you off the moderator's radar and make your Iforge experience more enjoyable for all.  One of the reasons for limiting quotes is how many of IFI's 50,000+ members in some 150 countries only have dial up connections and or have to pay by the minute, so holding the bandwidth down is a good thing for everybody. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I also build my own anvils. All welded anvils I verify again and again I am using mild steel for the main body. I just built a stake anvil with top steel plate (steel from a plough share). To attach the top plate to de main anvil body I made full penetration welding. Now I need to make the heat treatment and I am waiting for the Winter. The Summer runs hot, every day now is above 40 C and the risk of causing a fire is really high. I will post a video of the anvil fabrication after the heat treatment.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/66233-i-homemadediy-my-third-anvil/

Like others said, use your anvil for some time before you decide to weld a steel plate...