Bonnskij

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that when welding a billet together it's better to just tack the pieces together lightly. The idea is to let the layers sort of slide across each other as you weld your way down the bar rather than popping apart because the ends have no where to go. I've gotten in the habit of just tacking one end together (usually the end with the handle and a couple more on the sides ~1/3 of the way up the bar) and leaving the rest free. Then again I use flux so its a little different.

I'm not sure if that's what what happened to you, but it might be worth trying next time around.

Back in the fire it went. Not as long as I'd like to though. It was getting late and I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't appreciate it much.

My dad told me to tack weld the ends before welding the seams of the whole billet to keep it from popping apart. I put the whole thing in a vise though, so I don't think it would have mattered much for the stick welding part at least. Not sure why my welds didn't quite work out. Probably lack of wallop as I am still worrying about de-centralising the core. It's getting wallopped now for sure though!

It only showed up after a couple of days in vinegar, which is why I thought it could have hardened, but it could ofcourse just be that it only showed up after an extended time in the vinegar. I decided to put it back in the fire again.

20210929_121914.thumb.jpg.9c09d473e1012bcb5dcb85c066f896a9.jpg

After vinegar there seems to be a visible crsck down the middle of the o1 on the outer part of the billet:

20210929_131712.thumb.jpg.7d8791ed76ed7a593df1cd37c96179f4.jpg

The inside looks fine though. (I cut it in half down the length of it).

20210929_131721.thumb.jpg.2d0b5ed29554845391f065411977ae21.jpg

I haven't tried to forge o1 before myself. I just happened to have a flat bar lying around that I got for free.

I don’t know anything about the weldability of O1, but I do know from experience that it does not like to forge at high temperatures. I have a bar that I attempted to forge at a light yellow, and it basically turned to cottage cheese.