I Forge Iron

Bjorn makes sharp things. My beginners log book

Righto. Done whinging about welding, though it is the cranky season for me. More practice I guess.

Did manage to weld some rebar onto a piece of leaf spring as a temporary handle and I've done some more work on my kitchen knife. Managed to marr my knife with a piece of steel that got stuck in my fine file shortly before finishing. Annoying...

IMG_20201024_204534_7.thumb.jpg.e70daac6026c8750e7e8b893c2bc155e.jpgIMG_20201025_140204_8.thumb.jpg.8dddfeba10336e941ff953af51ccdd7e.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

File cards are pretty cheap compared to the work it'll take to clean out a scratch don't you think? Maybe buy one or two rather than repair an old broken one? I wouldn't throw it away, maybe repair it even but file cards are cheap.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes that's true. I just don't like wasting anything that can be salvaged (or going shopping for that matter) I think it should be an easy fix, but if it doesn't work out I'll definitely go and buy a new file card.

In other news I was finishing up my drawknife yesterday and decided to take the blade out of my spokeshave to sharpen it. Bad idea, as I never managed to set it properly again afterwards and left terrible chatter on my handles. Banged the drawknife onto the table in frustration (not even particularly hard)... And promptly snapped it in half... After that the spokeshave took a flat arc flight across the yard followed by several explicits that would probably have moderators breathing down my neck harder than last time I said something debatably PG. Split a tomato stake in half on its journey and shattered in a thousand pieces against a brick wall. Possibly puzzling future generations of archaeologists. Dingdangdiddly cast iron tools...

On 11/4/2020 at 7:38 PM, Bonnskij said:

flat arc flight across the yard

One might call it a low Earth orbit... better a tomato stake than a radius I suppose. Considering your use of profanity I'm going to assume you didn't find it very humerus...

Well Frosty. I've got this new material made from the breath of a fish, the spittle of a bird, the beard of a woman, the sound of a cat's footsteps, the sinews of a bear and the roots of a mountain. Seems quite promising.

In all seriousness though, it was the body of my spokeshave that broke in half and that was cast iron. I seem to be more likely to have too soft blades than too brittle ones so far.

You're not wrong Frazer. Any throw you make is by definition orbit around the centre of the earth. The only problem being that the rest of the earth gets in the way before the orbit is completed. A tomato stake is a small price to pay.

I did not find it particularly humerus at all at the time. In fact it was a royal pain in my foot (sorry).

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd better practice some tapering and drawing out in the hope that I might be able to do it without fishmouthing. (And also Christmas is coming up too quickly and I'm coming up short on ideas for presents). With any luck there will be bottle openers for everyone! Though I do wish I had an anvil with a horn for this bit...

The beer fridge has also been filled in anticipation of the oh so necessary testing phase.

IMG_20201118_075950_2.thumb.jpg.e1aca0e87b8bf08fb6da8b69dd83bf1e.jpgIMG_20201119_084116_2.thumb.jpg.2cf3b3165c4d71c2753362d8670176e1.jpg

That's one bottle opener forged and tested. Might be a bit rough here and there, but it was good fun and I'm quite happy with it at the end of the day. Managed to do brassing this time as well. Just needed to put a bit more force behind the brushing.

IMG_20201120_205330_2.thumb.jpg.c51ec14eaf4c35a1ea203877918bc6b0.jpg