I Forge Iron

dealing with long stock on the anvil

i'm wondering how you folks deal with long stock (2m or 6 feet) on the anvil . i was working on a camping tripod today and had a hard time forging a point on the end of the pieces, i mean holding on and tilting the piece ( 15mm sqaure 2m long) to get a nice point was a p.i.t.a  as it got very heavy in my hand trying to hold it in position on the anvil. do you guys use a stand or something els ? i'm just wondering how other people go about it.

First trick is to set the hight of your hearth at the same hight as your anvil. This does two things, no lifting or lowering between anvil and fire and you can prop long stock on anvil or hearth wile working on the other.

second is different stands you can make. Some boo in the prichel hole (offset and curved a bit) to suport the end of medium long stuff level to the anvil and free standing ones. Take Frosty’s advice and don’t use one rims, use a peice of flat or a used disk from a farmer so as not to make a toe getter. Then a simple upright and cross bar at anvil/hearth hight

A simple method is to use an S hook to hang a chain from a roof beam and then another hook stuck in an appropriate chain link  that will hold the workpiece. Positioned correctly you can use the same setup to hold it in the forge as well and jut pick up and swivel it to the anvil.

OBTraditionalMethod:  "Apprentice---hold this!"

I think for the size stock and what you were trying to do an S hook and chain hanging from the ceiling as Thomas suggested would work best as you can easily adjust the angle it holds the stock in relation to the anvil. If you want it higher just put the hook through a link farther up the chain. 

Pnut

Adjustable stands. Also, I set my anvil to the height I want. Then when I set up my forge, I set the top edge of the forge, not the cutout, level with my anvil face. Thus my forge acts as a stand and my iron lays flat on my anvil.

I use an s-hook and a weight to hold these long pieces firm on my anvil, thus freeing up both hands for tools.

stand1small.jpeg