I Forge Iron

Different types of stainless

Harry.C

There are four major groups of stainless steel defined according to the crystal structure of the steel: austenitic, ferritic, martensitic and duplex. This microstructure of these alloys depends on the alloying elements present in them;  these alloys have different alloying elements as well.

Ferritic steels are high chromium, magnetic stainless steels that have a low carbon content. Known for good ductility, resistance to corrosion and stress corrosion cracking, ferritic steels are commonly used in automotive applications, kitchenware, and industrial equipment. An example is most 400 series

Austenitic steels are non-magnetic stainless steels that contain high levels of chromium and nickel and low levels of carbon. Known for their formability and resistance to corrosion, austenitic steels are the most widely used grade of stainless steel. Example is the 300 series

Martensitic stainless steels are a group of chromium steels ordinarily containing no nickel developed to provide steel grades that are both corrosion resistant and hardenable via heat treating to a wide range of hardness and strength levels. 431 and 440 are examples. 

Duplex and Super Duplex Stainless Steel Duplex stainless steels have a two-phase microstructure that consists of grains of 50% austenitic and 50% ferritic stainless steel. This type of steel has a selection of benefits, and it is often chosen over regular ferritic or austenitic stainless steels due to its increased strength - it is about twice as strong as these metals. Examples are 2205 and 32750

None of these make a good starting point for learning how to forge

I have a 7 foot SS hex shaft about 2.5 inches across that looks to have been used as a drive shaft for some kind of machinery, probably from the tuna packing plant here, that broke and was found in the local scrap yard. It is non magnetic and i have not tested it yet for hardenability, but will cut off a piece and see how it works as a dive knife. Are there any field tests beyond the magnet and hardenabilty to try to ID SS series?

With some types of Ferritic and Martensitic stainless steel being magnetic and others not, I was wondering what makes them magnetic? Is it the level of iron or is it the crystalline structure? 

Both the material properties and their structure make it magnetic. Here is a breakdown of their structure: https://www.accu.co.uk/en/p/112-difference-between-ferritic-austenitic-and-martensitic-stainless-steels

18 hours ago, arkie said:

Steve (Sells), thanks for posting the info on various types of stainless steels.  I recently had a magnet stick to a pair of stainless medical forceps which surprised me.  I guess they were made of ferric stainless.

Arkie, I've recently discovered that cold working Austentic steel (even just bending it) changes the structure of the iron atoms, which turns some of it into Martensitic. So I wonder if perhaps your medical forceps were stainless steel grade 304? Does anyone know if there is a better method of testing stainless steel to see what type it is?

I have not a clue what type of stainless the forceps are.  I have noticed that a lot of disposable surgical instruments are coming from India and other third world countries.  No telling what their "stainless" composition is.

Scrapyards usually use a handheld spectrometer for specific alloys, but some just eyeball it and separate it into Al, magnetic, and non magnetic ferrous material. Depends really on the scrapyard and the type of scrap they deal with mostly.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

My local scrapyard does: copper/brass/etc, Al, Stainless and everything else.  They stopped sorting and differentiating between cast iron and steel as it all sold for the same when it got shipped to China.   Large pile of almost anything, (cars, washing machines old farm stuff, dock weights, galvanized, wiring still in place),  all mixed up.  Probably ends up as A-36