I Forge Iron

Tow Hook Bick ???

I got this tow hook last weekend and figured if nothing else it should be decent metal (I don’t make knives ) .

But the more I looked at it I thought , welded to 3/4” square stock or even bolted to 1.5” oak and clamped to a bench, it might make a usable Bick for making bottle openers.

Of course it would need a little reshaping.

Opinions ?!?!

227CFBFE-A32F-4708-8C92-DC2A17C95A92.jpeg

Oh YEAH, clean it up on the grinder first, at least get rid of the die parting line. Maybe refine the shape to your liking and it'll not only make a nice bic, it'll make a dandy dishing die. I see lots of interesting possibilities in that baby and it'd be fun interrogating it to find out how many and what. 

I like it, think I'll keep my eyes open for one.

Frosty The Lucky.

What’s the tinsel strength of cast iron?

Honestly, I’m curious. I picked this up because of the tremendous stress a tow hook has to endure.

So I assumed  nothing but a Forged part could withstand the stresses of being pulled & yanked by very large vehicles.

Is that wrong?

No, a tow hook wouldn't be cast iron and casting it in steel would be expensive. It's probably a closed die forging. Tensile strength wouldn't be much of a factor, hooks have to resist bending, not stretch. The forces on a hook tend to try to straighten it so it has to be tough, think medium carbon steel, in the 1040 - 1060 range. New ones are probably 4140 or close, that's a hard alloy to top in high stress conditions.

Frosty The Lucky.