I Forge Iron

Show us your Lanterns & Oil Lamps

Chris C

10 hours ago, DHarris said:

Power here in Purcell is very spotty unless you live on the far north side where power is supplied by OEC. We live on the north side of town. Those in the town proper have power distributed by the City of Purcell where even a stiff breeze seems to knock out the power. 

Same problem here.  We are on OG&E and lose power most any time the wind blows hard.  Folks across the road are on OEC and never lose power.  I've done everything I can to get hooked up to OEC, but they say there's no way.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend collects Coleman style lanterns. I have found some at garage sales and thrift stores that I gave to him. The last one I gave him was a BernzOmatic propane like I had never seen before. The tank went in back instead of under the mantle. Looks like this one except his is blue.

image.png.389c3593454eb574100c7455ba959ce1.png

I have one just like it a model TX-750 bought new in 1960, has been going strong since and accompanied us on many camping trips with the kids. The Aladdin lamp in the background is the standby main light lamp, from the last light house I was stationed on. It was given to me in Jan, 1968, the day I left, by the last civilian light house keeper employed by the U.S.C.G. Because the light house was being automated and no longer manned. It's a NU MODEL 13, the shade I added later and it's the lamp I use most in the kitchen (please ignore all the junk around it) when I light it that stuff is moved.:) I just noticed the picture on the TV in the background is a syfy movie that my wife is watching.:o

100_2052.thumb.JPG.8cdfc95506d9285b1071f40767be3278.JPG

Mr. Dragon and T.P. et al.,

The 'oil' refiners, in those days were stuck with a lot of 'gasoline' and did not know what to do with it.  Soooo they resorted to the usual nineteenth solution of dumping it in the nearest stream.

Laws were passed to prohibit such dumping.

They are not enforcing said laws these days.

SLAG. 

They also used to roll lit wooden barrels of gasoline down hills for the fun of it.

Kerosene was one of  the solutions to the 19th century's major energy crisis---the lack of whale oil for lighting. 

My Mother grew up in rural Oklahoma, USA, and they used "coal oil lamps" as the only electricity they had in the 1930's was a 6 volt wind charger to run the radio off of...

Here is most of the collection, several flat wick lamps are mounted on the walls not pictured. Please excuse the dust ( haven't messed with them in a long time.

The one on the left is a model 11 and the right one is a model 23 the shades are newer similar ones.

100_2053.thumb.JPG.db5f35842487af246d0f11668889c121.JPG

The next three pictures are in the bed room.

100_2054.thumb.JPG.b44a64ce50dfca0f0d26feb0e33fc21c.JPG

100_2055.thumb.JPG.fcff834bbe77a925cc35210132110501.JPG

100_2056.thumb.JPG.30919240b693b9fcce0c3c9ce6c932cb.JPG

The rest are downstairs in the "dungeon"

100_2057.thumb.JPG.bd7c61ccf177df2437550227e26529ab.JPG

100_2058.thumb.JPG.1c22065cf21c6fb4550c599247f6ef52.JPG

100_2059.thumb.JPG.9b4b74d3424da0e75c39a46b72cf2e57.JPG

My mother grew up in Alaska in the Forties and Fifties, and she has tales of her chores including daily filling of the oil lamps around the house.

I have a few that I keep on hand for power outages; I'll try to post photos later.

This is one of my favorites of the flat wick lamps. Made by P&A Risdon Lamp Co. Danbury CT., around the late 1800s brass font & brackets.  P&A is the Plume & Atwood Manufacturing Co. They made many different lamps under a lot of patents, including the Aladdin brass burners from 1869 till 1955, when the Waterbury factory was destroyed by Hurricane Connie flooding.

100_2060.thumb.JPG.a984796e552d3d55670871a28ccca511.JPG

I sometimes use a small syringe to put oil into,  (or other liquids, for that matter),   small holes in containers.

They can be as small as a tuberculin syringe or better a five milliliter one. Funnels are faster, but they can easily overflow the receptacle, making a mess.

SLAG.

Until I picked up that coal oil jug, I used an old time battery filling bulb or turkey baster to fill the lamps. This flat wick lamp isn't that old. The only markings on the brass burner is Made in the US of America. I picked it up in an old antique/junk shop for $5 US because I liked the cast iron swivel/swinging hanger.

100_2062.thumb.JPG.338403f12cfa8b8cf68d5783b1f6965a.JPG

I was telling a friend the other day about all you guys and your Aladdin lamps.  He mentioned he had one somewhere and if he could find it I could have it.  So now I'm the proud owner of an original Aladdin Oil Lantern!  I'm Blessed, indeed.

I've used oil lamps all my life............from the little 1/8" round wicks all the way up to flat wicks.  Love the light.............love the ambience.  But I've always wanted a real Aladdin..............and now I have one.  Puts out more light than I've ever seen an oil lamp produce.  Now I see how people could live back in the 1800's with these things.  You can actually live your life with this much light.

So here's my new (to me) pride and joy.

p3593829050-4.jpg

Exactly, Thomas, and  that oil spreads fast on anything it drips on, and can really spoil some finishes! Insulin syringes should work for very light oil, vinegar, Isopropylene.

Jug, lamp, funnel? I am too clumsy for that!

Congratulations on your acquisition, Chris.

Slag - just found my box of assorted syringes/sharps, an hour ago.

We keep those gridless devices around here, nothing like the beauties you all are showing!

20190908_151143.jpgRobert Taylor

Edited by Anachronist58
addendum

2 minutes ago, Anachronist58 said:

Congratulations on your acquisition, Chris.

Thanks.  I'm Blessed to have such generous friends!  Both he and his wife were really nice to give this to me.  Always wanted one and now I can join in with the rest of the proud lantern users. ;)

Nice lamp Chris, it's amazing how much brighter a mantle is compared to a flat wick isn't it?

Pnut

Anachronist (Robert) I love railroad lamps.  That looks like a fairly early one. Is it a reproduction or original? 

Edited by pnut

22 minutes ago, pnut said:

Nice lamp Chris, it's amazing how much brighter a mantle is compared to a flat wick isn't it?

Amen!!!

5 minutes ago, lazyassforge said:

Aladdin brand lamps were first sold in 1909!

Oh well, the folks in the early 1900's had a whole lot more light at night than previously.  At any rate, I'm sure it made life a whole lot easier!