I Forge Iron

Dragon!

I just started on my first dragon. I was going to put it on the ever so popular "what did you do in the shop today" thread. But I decided to make it's own thread. I started out with about 10" of 1" key stock (I should've used mild but it was about the right size so.... In the fire it went!). I drew out the body, cut in the horns, and folded the head over yesterday. 

52155773-161B-42E0-966D-4FC8844A84A0.thumb.jpeg.5ea8965dfe852340e790b7821acdfdb6.jpeg

Today I forge welded the head together (only my second forge weld ever. So glad it turned out!)

B48F0F0C-2981-4940-A5AF-076C75C387A6.thumb.jpeg.f9de213b80328e387ca84957ac2d3ed5.jpeg

D5DE5A8D-4E54-4C32-BAD6-9515DD9EEF76.thumb.jpeg.e556dc8fdb21010983b6f3662d7dac4c.jpeg

Then I got started on the face.... Not happy with the eyes, I'll definitely be redoing them!

613B8A2C-41B2-4E22-90EB-FF6944394FED.thumb.jpeg.be0f1945c9525e409d4d3c5af6a228df.jpeg

A09EF344-0DF8-4B1E-9644-CD591BAF9FFE.thumb.jpeg.43ace6650e5e107dd9a530e001fff1c9.jpeg

The horns are in that position because I hammered them back out of the way for the weld. I like the way they look and will probably leave them alone for the most part. I'll continue to update this as it progresses!

Looks good, it's obviously one of the FAST type dragons they're much more streamlined than the pronounced brow ridge snarly dragons. I like it, well done. Uh . . . REALISTIC, like a REAL dragon? 

Using large stock has advantages on a project like this. You have more time out of the fire to do fiddly work and think and it takes larger changes so it's easier to correct things you don't like or don't work.

I wouldn't go for Key stock if I had a choice but if that's what's had at hand that's what you use.

I pre-form the brow when I forge the top edges of the snout, it leaves a nice ledge to punch the eye sockets and the nostrils are formed in a similar manner but I like slitting them rather than leaving them round. 

This is all vise work and there's a tool for making this much easier but I can't find a picture of mine. I'm sure someone will post a pic. 

You can get REALLY creative with the horns, I've seen them pointing forwards like it was a mythical self heating toasting fork out to the sides, the infamous, Long horn dragon, curled like a ram, curved and in one example twisted together. 

Dragons are fun to play with and we LOVE to see the pics. Good job, keep at it. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty and CGL!  I am very pleased with the way it turned out. I've never forged anything with this kind of a demand for detail, or skill level. So I was really pumped when it came together like it did. 

This is a birthday present for my brother who is a tattoo artist. I think it'll have a good home in his shop! 

30 minutes ago, Cannon Cocker said:

This is a birthday present for my brother who is a tattoo artist. I think it'll have a good home in his shop! 

A tattoo artist!? :o I'd sure be tempted to engrave a couple tats on it and fill the grooves with ink. Skrimshawed tattoos on an iron dragon.  Does it get any cooler than that?

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 1:20 PM, Frosty said:

Uh . . . REALISTIC, like a REAL dragon? 

When I first read this, I could not stop laughing. Here I am again, chuckling to myself at work like a crazy person.

I am curious if this scale design will work as a large wood rasp of sorts.