I Forge Iron

FSO's (Fork-Shaped-Anvils) abatch

Browsed the "retail/DIY" area  at LA's Recycling Center in SE Oklahoma City today, looking for some 5160 leaf springs and maybe some coils. My first time there. Several acres, more steel than I could get my mind around. Lots of big boy stuff. I believe the walk away price is a flat 35 cents a pound for anything a magnet will stick to. What surprised me was the number (literally hundreds) of forks of all sizes. Piles of them, ranging from this little sample basket of "normal" size forks up to a few in the "Dude, are you kidding me??" category. If you are in the central Oklahoma area and want to get creative anvil-wise (and you have a large cutting tip for your torch or a plasma cutter) there ya go, but bring friends if you want one of the big ones. There were also several scrapped backhoe/excavator buckets in smaller sizes from 12" up to maybe 24", with teeth still intact.

forks1.JPG

Heck, Jennifer, I tried to give him a 20" diameter stump for his anvil and all he wanted was a fancy steel one. ;)  Actually, we don't live all that close together.  Besides, he's already up and runnin' on his own.

Chris, I'll bet I saw you there, browsing around in the same general area around 12:30 or so. Bit of grey hair, glasses, 70's? We were the only two old guys around back in that area. Those big forks back there are really something, aren't they? I think I'm going back Monday and pick up a couple of those welded iron fence sections (lots of 1/2" bar stock), and I spotted a ready-made base for my post vise, too. It's 3/8 or 1/2 plate, already laser-cut into a fan shape covering about 120 degrees of a circle, maybe 30" or so edge to edge. Just need a stout chunk of girder to go with it, and Lord knows they have lots of that.

Dang, BigGun, that would be some serious post vise.

Chris, "up and running" is a relative term. You're welcome to come over any time for a cup of coffee, but I'm so barely out of the starting gate on this stuff I'm still setting up equipment. So forging something in my shop would be the classic definition of the blind leading the blind, lol. Still got my eye out for an anvil for you, but nothing so far.

Jennifer, if you'd like I'll get you an estimate to crate and ship you a couple of those big forks. Heh.

Roger that BigGun, thanks for the caution. I'll remember to bring a pocket hacksaw. One of the things I expected to see simply wasn't there in any quantity, and that is leaf springs. I'd like to find a few smaller size leaf sets, like those found on compact/sub-compact cars, boat trailers, etc. A few small torsion bars would be nice, too. One of the worker bees told me they usually shred whole cars and smaller trucks without messing with parts - too labor intensive, I guess. I"ll check some auto salvage places next. More likely to find them, but unfortunately there they'll be priced by the piece rather than by weight.

11 hours ago, picker77 said:

Chris, I'll bet I saw you there, browsing around in the same general area around 12:30 or so. Bit of grey hair, glasses, 70's? We were the only two old guys around back in that area. Those big forks back there are really something, aren't they? I think I'm going back Monday and pick up a couple of those welded iron fence sections (lots of 1/2" bar stock), and I spotted a ready-made base for my post vise, too. It's 3/8 or 1/2 plate, already laser-cut into a fan shape covering about 120 degrees of a circle, maybe 30" or so edge to edge. Just need a stout chunk of girder to go with it, and Lord knows they have lots of that.

Could be.  When I first arrived there were about 5 or 6 of us wandering around.  by the time I left, there were only two of us.  You might have been the other, I don't know.  Yup, I'm gray haired and wear glasses..............and hearing aids................and "plastic teeth" (as my grandson calls'em)  Gittin' old ain't fer sissies!  :lol::D  There were some nice I-beams, painted gray, that were mounted on plates notched for bolts.  Looked like they might be tall enough to use as a column for a leg vise.  Didn't have the measurements of my mounting height, so didn't bring one home.  They had several, so I'll check into that next week.  I won't go back without making sure I have a magnet, a pocket saw, and tape measure and a pocket full of money..................oh and a written list of the things I need and their requirements! (DUH!)

Thanks for the coffee invite.

Picker, for leaf and coil springs,  tortion bars and axle shafts, try some local collision and mechanical repair shops. Asking nicely and explaining why you could use them other than scrap may work. A box of doughnuts goes a long way as well. 

Watch your local ads for people parting cars out. I get springs for free , and have a pile of them. Also check body shops as they change out bent ones.

Lots of car parts are good stock. Springs, steering components, axles-front and rear wheel drive, steering shafts, hood springs, trunk springs, older car pedals that are solid not bent sheet metal, shifters, torsion bars, anti sway bars, headliner stretcher bars, transmission shafts, valves, valve springs, and lots of sheet metal.

Thanks, Daswulf, I'll look into that. And yes, a dozen Krispy Kremes or Dunkin's is the master key lots of places, lol.

BigGun, hadn't thought of a lot of those items being useful. Gosh, sounds like I just need to go to the junkyard and stick an '86 Buick in the back of my truck, ha.

Chris, you might want to throw a small file into your scrounging tool kit, to help guesstimating hardness. I'm right there with you on the grandkid thing, we have 5 kids, 14 grandkids, and either 4 or 5 great-grandkids (I think I'm losing track of those, ha). Anyway, I'll probably run into you over there again. I'll check out those I-beams you mentioned, might be one of those would be just what I need. For ID I'm old, 6'4", 240 lb, grey beard, grey hair, John Deere cap, always wear shorts unless it's below freezing. Not sure about the 35¢/lb thing, the guy yelled it over his shoulder as he was walking away, but lots of racket there at the time. Sounded about right. I think they pay around 20¢/lb for steel when buying. If I run into a good source of used 5160 in my travels I'll let you know.

Did you have a small dog with you in the scrap yard, Picker?  If so, I think we crossed paths a couple of times.

Thanks for the file tip.  (only I'm no real judge of hardness, even with a file)  When you go back, those gray  "stands" were up by the North wall about 100 feet from the entrance to that area. If memory serves, there were probably  or 6 of them.  And yup, .35/lb is correct.

Nope, that wasn't me. I do remember that guy, though. I look a bit rough, but not THAT rough (yet). And I'm glad to hear that wasn't you, ROFL! That poor little dog had such short legs the guy had to finally pick it up and carry it, ha. Thanks for location info, I'll eyeball that area next week sometime.

A file won't tell you much about HOW hard something is, only that it's mild steel or hardened. But you can easily feel the difference between a file "skating" over hardened metal and digging into mild steel. I have one of those 6-file Japanese hardness test file kits, but there's a practice/learning curve to effectively use it. However, if used carefully and with some practice you can pretty well nail down hardness within a five point HRc range.

1 hour ago, picker77 said:

Nope, that wasn't me. I do remember that guy, though. I look a bit rough, but not THAT rough (yet). And I'm glad to hear that wasn't you, ROFL! That poor little dog had such short legs the guy had to finally pick it up and carry it, ha. Thanks for location info, I'll eyeball that area next week sometime.

A file won't tell you much about HOW hard something is, only that it's mild steel or hardened. But you can easily feel the difference between a file "skating" over hardened metal and digging into mild steel. I have one of those 6-file Japanese hardness test file kits, but there's a practice/learning curve to effectively use it. However, if used carefully and with some practice you can pretty well nail down hardness within a five point HRc range.

Guess we'll just have to get together to find out who is who, huh! :wacko:

"you can easily feel the difference between a file "skating" over hardened metal and digging into mild steel."  Well THAT, I'm qualified to do.  I'll start carrying a small file with me......thanks.

I'm not positive, but I think I heard the "head honcho" at the salvage yard tell a guy with a truck load and on the scales that he's paying .04/lb.  :o !!!???  I hope I didn't hear right because that's pretty pitiful.

"I'll eyeball that area next week sometime".  I'll holler at you when I plan on going.  We might be able to meet up and have lunch or something and wander the yard together..............."great minds work in tandem". :D

17 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

I think I heard the "head honcho" at the salvage yard tell a guy with a truck load and on the scales that he's paying .04/lb.  :o !!!???  I hope I didn't hear right because that's pretty pitiful.

Maybe that 20¢ buy price I thought I heard was actually 4¢. No idea how they handle small time piece-by-piece buyers... maybe weigh your vehicle, have you go load up, and come back over the scales, assuming you dare drive your Michelins over that "road" through the middle of the DIY yard, that is.

Chris, Picker: You two could use a version of Thomas Powers ID method. He wears a Hawaiian shirt and Lederhosen, Ala Rufo. If I ever get to an event where I'm not already known I want to find a snowman head, hat. 

I'm with you Jennifer, I was a couple posts into the thread before the title actually made some sense. When I first read it, it had me wondering what the new guys were doing that required or they thought would work better with an anvil shaped like a fork. 

Oh well, this sort of puzzlement strikes me tine and tine again.

Frosty The Lucky.