I Forge Iron

FSO's (Fork-Shaped-Anvils) abatch

Where is this place, Chris or Picker?  My father-in-law owns a place that makes (or used to make) utility trailers and truck beds. I have probably more leaf spring from trailers than anyone could ever use, especially someone who doesn’t make knives. 

But I could use at least one forklift fork. 

LA Recycling, 500 SE 55th, Oklahoma City.  Can't pinpoint it exactly, but somewhere about in that yellow-circled area are those bigger forks. Hard to miss, there are many dozens of them in one concentrated spot, near the north fence. That entire NW section all around the yellow circled area on both sides of that pathway is the "retail" pick area.This photo only covers the western half of the place. It's big!1632802474_LARecyclingbirdseye.thumb.jpg.150a447c2e29e9ced41ecace448cf9ec.jpg

No problem, Jennifer. Us newbies don't get a chance to poke fun at you forum "old hands" very often. Lots of witty folks populate IFI, makes for some enjoyable reading. :)

15 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Amazing what Google knows...

500 SE 55th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73129

My Google-fu is very strong. My ability navigate OKC is unfortunately quite poor and I don’t put much faith in Google Maps to guide me there. 

DHarris, it's easy to get there from Purcell. Take I-35, get off at the SE 59th exit, turn left (west) on 59th, turn right (north) on Byers, and then right (east) on SW 55th. The entrance is 1/4 mile down, on the south side of SW 55th. Piece of cake.

Frosty said: "Chris, Picker: You two could use a version of Thomas Powers ID method. He wears a Hawaiian shirt and Lederhosen, Ala Rufo. If I ever get to an event where I'm not already known I want to find a snowman head, hat."

Frosty, that must be a sight to see. But when I want to stand out from the crowd, I wear one of my kilts. My family tree sprouted just north of Glasgow back around the year 1100. Invariably, somebody will ask why they call them kilts. The answer: "Because over the years, we have kilt anyone who called it a skirt. That's what this Sgian Dubh is for". :)

Handy to have a good scrapyard kit thrown behind the seat of the pickup; or in a trunk for you posers:  hand sledge and large cold chisel---forge a good one, lots of rusty nuts will just pop off with a good whack. Large hacksaw---I mound metal cutting bandsaw blade sections in a bow saw frame---punch the hole slightly closer than the wood blades so you get a bit more tension. If you ever have to cut a 1.5" rod by hand the larger saw with blades that don't break every time the wind blows is right handy!  Of course a large adjustable wrench or two and a good crowbar.  With a nice kit you can get a lot of specific items up until you get into the O-A cutting torch realm---and I'm friendly enough at my local scrapyard they have drug out the cutting torch and freed up an item for me before.  some heavy duty tarp and trash bags will help keep a trunk clean and avoid your wife having to explain WHY sh hit you with her crowbar...

I often pick up metal milk crates at the scrap yard to hold a pile of small pickings and then work as storage in my shop.  Sometimes it will be plastic 5 gallon buckets and I don't hassle the staff about Tare, I can pay the 20 cents a pound for them and keep them happy to see me; shoot they've found me two anvils so far. (Low grade so far, Badger and a Vulcan;  but there is always students needing some sort of anvil at 25 cents a pound.)

Don't forget the excavator hammer bits....they are designed for impact. I hauled mine from Kauai, where I used it for a bladesmithing anvil mounted in the ground, to American Samoa, where it became the anvil for the power hammer I recently completed. They come in various sizes; there were 4 of them in the scrap yard, and I took the 2 I could move by hand.

Greetings, Steve S., and aloha to you and your family. We vacationed on the Big Island and on Kauai a couple of times while living in Hawaii, but never lived on either island. Both are beautiful islands, Kauai is especially a stunningly beautiful place. I'm glad we got to experience the islands back in the day, but too crowded and too much traffic now, so I have zero interest in going back. My favorite musician is still Gabby Pahinui, I listen to his slack key stuff in my shop all the time.