I Forge Iron

Why Doesn't the U.S. Use the Metric System? Or does it? (sometimes)

caotropheus

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely drink any coffee, and even when I do I can only do a cup of coffee. Just one is enough to give me the urps the rest of the night.  Any more and I better be within a short distance to a bathroom. Although I have read that cold brew is easier on the stomach than hot brewed.

I prefer my coffee as Kahlua, or a frappé. 

I used to knock back 3-4 pots a day and can still have a cup at bed time and drop right off. Much more than about 1.5 and my stomach starts talking to me.

Caffeine is a laxative though like anything, the more contact the greater the tolerance. It effects everybody differently regardless.

Frosty The Lucky.

My first pot of coffee is gone by about 4:30 a.m.

I used to buy those little kegs of Newcastle. If you're only going to have one beer that's a good size to go with.  I wish I still had an empty one around. They'd make a decent forge shell or like you said Steve a durable quench tank.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

This discussion reminds me of doing research back in my geology days when ore values were, particularly in 19th century reports, were given in obscure units such as poods per arpent.

Notownkid, it is obscure as to why the world should follow the US which has 4.2% of the world's population and 28% of the world domestic product.  As the world as a whole continues to grow and develop it is likely that those percentages will continue to decline.  The real reason that the US has not completely converted to the metric system is "'cause we're 'Murica and we don't want no furriners telling us how to do anything."  Even though it would have made much economic sense to convert to the metric system back in the '80s there was not the political will to carry it through.  It would have made sense on a macro economic scale but for most people it would have just been an inconvenience.

Personally, because of my scientific and military background I have no difficulty jumping back and forth from Imperial to metric for weight and length but my brain ties itself in knots trying to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius and back again.  If someone says that it is X degrees C out I don't know whether to wear a parka or shorts.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."