I Forge Iron

Art on Fire

Last weekend we attended the Art on Fire event. It was our first public appearance as a blacksmithing organization. It went quite well considering we were competing with the Air show in Anchorage and the Scottish games in Eagle River. 300-350 visitors.

The first pic is my demo set up. There is a sheet metal wind screen on top of the forge. It wasn't till later I discovered my official photographer wifey didn't get any shots of me with a fire lit. Once the iron started flowing . . .

The last shot was just too good to pass up. Tougher in Alaska you know. :o

Frosty

6980.attach

6981.attach

6982.attach

6983.attach

6984.attach

6985.attach

6986.attach

6987.attach

6988.attach

6989.attach

First off they weren't my crew at all. I know Pat Garley, he's a member of the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths but this was more his show.

I believe this pour saw about 1,500lbs. poured.

The salvage iron was brake rotors and an old boiler plus various and sundry other small bits.

The one plaque I posted is a map of AK with Iron Trail and perhaps a serpent. I wasn't part of the casting gang so I don't know what all was cast. This one was (I think) a commemorative of the events so I posted it.

There was another plaque I took a picture of but it's for a local green house who made considerable donations to the project.

Very observant to notice the rail Chris. You did see the train behind it. Yes?

Thanks for posting the URL to the blog Steve, I hadn't seen it.

I'm only peripherally connected to these folk through Pat so I really don't know what all's going on.

I brought my fire suit but with the 10lb. restriction on my arm I figured I'd be more in the way than anything else so stayed clear. I could've made a mold but found myself too tied up getting my smithing gear set up and ready. Without the shop actually being set up, everything takes several times as long as it should.

It was a great time and there's talk of making it an annual event. There's also interest from the folk at the state fair so I may get another chance to play with liquid metal in a couple months. We won't know till Pat gets back from the pour on the 4th. in Kenai.

Frosty

I would like to buy a large framable poster of the "Tougher in Alaska "print. Seriously, It would be a big seller.mike

I don't know how the GAL would take it. I'll make the suggestion and see what she thinks.

You're right though, it would be one of THOSE posters.

Hmmmmmm.

Frosty

Thank You for sharing the fun Frosty.
No question about the toughness of those Alaskan Americans. They must have had some very hot chilly for lunch.
I see you did not have to go far to find railroad spikes to make products with. Very clever place to set up shop!
But who was the person that had the strength to unload that Anvil. I need him/her to help me with my shop while I am re-arraigning it.
Ted

Actually that was before lunch. The after lunch pics fogged the electronics in the camera. :o

I used my engine hoist to load and a couple guys helped unload. You'll note I didn't have them take it far from the pickup. The guy in charge introduced them as "Muscle."

This is my new anvil stand with clip on hammer rack. The rack wedges the anvil into the stand though it shows no sign of wanting to jump out of the 2" angle as is. Even without filling the legs with sand it's surprisingly quiet.

Frosty

6990.attach

You know Pat? Small world isn't it.

I only met him about 1 1/2 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. He does some very nice work and is generous with his time and knowledge to a fault.

Do you have his E-mail address?

Frosty

I was hoping you'd post some pics, Frosty.

I wanted to attend, but time and finances were against me. I'll be at tomorrow's event in Kenai come xxxx or high water, though. :D

I had lots of ideas for something to mold- a vise for my shaper, an overarm support for the horizontal mill, etc.- but no time to get anything ready. My stuff'd be critical enough we'll have to pay attention to the shrinkage rates, and possibly mold a void core- or whatever they're called.

Is this a group of enthusiasts, or a company that can actually pour iron for pay, if I were to come up with a workable mold later in the year? I seem to recall there was a foundry/brassworks in Wasilla, but I lost that contact information about three computers ago.

I'll have both my cameras there, so stand by for more pics. :D

Doc.

Talk to Pat about doing critical casting. The gang will be of all skill levels, from 50 year veteran pros to first timers.

Pat'll know who's who.

I've been approached for his contact info by someone who wants to pour iron at the fair so there may be another one here.

Enjoy.

Frosty

Turned out to be a great demo! I was impressed with the setup, and the various guys and ladies made some interesting pieces.

I took just short of a thousand photos- gotta love high end digital :D - and as soon as I have 'em sorted and uploaded, I'll post a link to my gallery here. I'd go ahead and post a couple that I have up already, except Glenn would just repost 'em to his gallery again, even though I've specifically asked him not to in the past.

Fun stuff, though. I just wish I'd had the chance to whip up a pattern, and I should have gone over the day before and watched them making the molds as well. They suggested there might- theoretically- be another demo at the State Fair, and if so, I'll definitely be there for that.

Doc.

I'd go ahead and post a couple that I have up already, except Glenn would just repost 'em to his gallery again, even though I've specifically asked him not to in the past.

Doc, as I explained to you off line at the time you first brought this to my attention, the photos you referred to needed to be resized to fit into your forum post. The IForgeIron gallery was the quickest way to resize the photos. They were placed into the gallery and then copied, now at proper size, to your forum post. There was NEVER any intent to claim ownership of YOUR work.

When you contacted me, you said I had placed YOUR photos into MY gallery, but did not indicate which photos were involved. So I reviewed each and every post you made to the IForgeIron forum, chasing down each photograph you had attached to the forum, and cross referenced those photos with what was contained in my personal IForgeIron Gallery. I found only 2 (two) photos that belonged to you under my name, the two that were resized to fit into your forum posts. Next, it took some time to figure out how to move the photos from my gallery to your gallery without loosing the image, or loosing the link from the photo to your forum post. That was also accomplished. You were then informed as to the changes and that YOUR photos were no longer listed under my gallery account.

As a photographer I understand the pride anyone takes in producing a photograph. As I explained, there was NEVER any intent to claim ownership of YOUR work, only to resize your photo so it could be included into YOUR forum post.