I Forge Iron

Got an anvil on loan until my Ridgid peddinghaus #9 comes in

Was chatting with my girlfriend's neighbor and telling him about how I'm going to start my new blacksmith hobby. He's like 84 and asked me if I had an anvil yet, so I sais to the guy, I built a makeshift one out of an old sprocket and that  will make due until my anvil comes. Which is like 6 weeks out accoarding to the shop I purchased it. Not on their end. It's Ridgid peddinghaus themselves that's taking so long. But the wait will be worth it. So he tells me he has an anvil I can use until mine comes. He said I'm too old to swing a hammer so it's just sitting there collecting dust. I of course took him up on his offer. Now I think I might forge him something in return for the nice offer of generosity

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190502095039364_COVER.jpg

He actually found it at an auction. About 10 years back And he's never used it. He said he has always wanted an anvil. And by the looks. The old stand has shoes on it and the edges are completely shot on the one side so I'm guessing farrier. Good thing I'm a lefty and there's still one goodish edge. His father was a blacksmith and he told me he's tried but just didn't have the knack for it. The Hardy hole was full of cob webs so it's been sitting awhile.  My old sprocket is now my new cutting table so that's good for me

Yeah, that edge has taken a beating but there's still enough radiused edge and if the other side is good, you're golden. Make a saddle or sacrificial cutting and bolster plates and save your chisels and punches. Hold onto your sprocket for a bench anvil, there is NO good reason to tear it up just because you have better available. 

Unless the cobwebs prevent dropping a hardy in it's not worth mentioning. Well, O K A Y if a few hundred baby spiders pour out it's probably worth mentioning. Have pics though or we probably won't believe it. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Every day I learn more and more that Texas is a lot like Florida, but drier. Just had to kill a few widows in the greenhouse last week. Though I dknt get many of them compared to the recluses and the banana spiders. 

Heh, heh, heh, I grew up in S Cal. and it was a matter of habit to watch for black widows and rattle snakes but I haven't seen either outside of a terrarium 48 years come July. Oh sure, we get a Recluse bite report or two a year up here but that's usually in the produce section of the super market. Bananas are the most dangerous fruit we get here. :unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.