I Forge Iron

Got an anvil on loan until my Ridgid peddinghaus #9 comes in

On 5/2/2019 at 12:21 PM, JHCC said:

Other than Mousehole (The Undisputed King of Anvils), of course. Still, it will do.

I have the opportuinity to buy a 200ish pound mouse hole...I already have a 170# hay budden, would the mouse hole be better?

Really? I guess I know less then i thought I did, but assuming the condition is the same, is it a user prefferrence, or a fact?

The guy who has the mouse hole estimated it at 170 so I guessing its higher, but weight aside, is mousehole a better brand?

Ah, John and I have a friendly spitting contest going on, I let people know how superior a Soderfors anvil is and he jumps in with his completely unverified Mousehole claims. We're just funnin each other. :lol:

Joking aside it's the smith's skill that makes the difference once you have a good quality anvil under the work. I'm not talking a particular maker or shape, a good anvil is heavy enough it doesn't bounce around much and is hard enough not to deform under the hammer, a smooth face is a plus. A hundred lbs. of smooth limestone works just fine but I have an ultramafic boulder that's smooth as glass and dense as a politician's soul. Unfortunately that boulder is the size of a pickup truck cab, I'd have to build a shop around it to use it. Oh well. 

Like John says, condition and price are the main factors once you get away from the cheap cast iron junk. Take a small bearing ball, a rag to wipe it off with and see how it rebounds. Take a bathroom scale with you when you go look. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Depends on what you are doing with them too; if you work as a document courier buying a dump truck is not a plus! Mousehole will probably have a larger sweet spot for heavy work and the HB be better for ornamental work.

HB is an excellent brand;   They are close enough in size that I would use face condition and the Ball Bearing test to differentiate,

Note the Mousehole will be stamped in CWT and the HB will be stamped in Pounds.

"Anvil Envy" is a terrible affliction for modern blacksmiths---especially hobbyists!   I suffered with it for many a year with the 410# Trenton and 469# Fisher only holding the symptoms in check for a short time---having a friend with a 750# West exacerbates the issue.   On the other hand IIRC Francis Whitaker used a 165# anvil during his career as a world famous ornamental smith.