I Forge Iron

Bowl Adzes

I recently completed this pair of bowl adzes. Mild steel bodies with forge-welded high-carbon edges. One has a low layer 1080/15n20 pattern-welded edge and a moradillo handle. The other has an old file as the edge and an apple handle. Finished with Tried & True Varnish Oil.

The moradillo one is headed to the Richard Arnold Charity Auction in the UK as a donation. I'm keeping the other.

2019-04-12_174153.jpg

2019-04-12_175115.jpg

2019-04-12_181630.jpg

2019-04-12_182014.jpg

2019-04-12_183249.jpg

2019-04-12_184303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are adzes setup both ways, but typically an outside bevel (outcannel) is desirable as it allows for better control of the bowl wall curvature (you can adjust the angle of the adze and it will follow the bevel in a swooping cut). 

On 4/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Wasn't it Theoretical Sturgeon whos said "There's something fishy about caviar!"

I think so but Thoracic Surgeon had to get it off his chest for him. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I have a couple round ceramic sharpening sticks that work well on inside bevels. If you know an electrician or maintenance person ask if they have any blown ceramic fuses, they work a treat as sharpeners. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 8 months later...