I Forge Iron

Stock for making axes?

"Holding the best edge" is not for a throwing hawk as "HTBE" is usually correlated with hardness and hardness is correlated with brittleness.  Have you made any hawks from old ballpeen hammers?  Good way to get practice in.  Then a 40 to 60 point alloy would be suggested by me, say 5160 if you will be using it as a hatchet as well.  Of course this is for MY values of "best" and may not align with your values of "best" or Steve's values of "best", etc.

Stock size depends a lot on how large an axe you intend to forge as well as the style of manufacture and axe type.  How are you at forge welding?  For a primarily throwing axe I would recommend starting off making a tomahawk first, to get your feet wet as it were.  One of the advantages there is the typical material source for hawks (bar stock) is a lot easier to come by than larger belt axe stock.  Also the wrapped and welded eye is less work than punching and drifting medium or high carbon steel IMHO, unless you have a hydraulic press, treadle hammer or willing striker.  Here is an example of someone making a hawk from an old farrier's rasp with very minimal tooling:  

After you have a couple of those under your belt you could consider "moving up" to forging a small belt axe or hatchet which could also be used for other chores.  If you have interest in this, Butch Sheeley will be teaching a hawk and belt axe class at the Arc and Flame blacksmithing school in Rochester, NY next month.  I believe there are still spaces available.

I am not very good at forge welding although I would like to learn I am pretty good at the punching and drifting as i do it often with 2 inch round for making hammers. I would probably like to get two pieces of steel and practice on the one. I just don't know what size of stock. As I said above, it will be a throwing hatchet under 2lbs.

a 1.5"R x 4" Length of 4130 is almost 2 and a quarter lbs. A 4" length of the same material is 1.9 lbs. There are metal weight calculators on the internet. Just fill in the parameters. I use the one from the online metals store. Very useful when needing a finished weight and don't know what size stock to start with. Remember to factor in scale, grinding, plug if punched. I also have a weight calculator on my phone. When I've needed to match a historical piece I figure out the stock size then weigh the piece I'm matching then put the numbers into the calculator to find the stock dimensions. Remembering to account for wastage.

Hmmm, I never considered upsetting the leaf spring like that to give me a spot to punch and drift a hole.  As most of us know, 5160 doesn't like to forge weld on its self so this is a great idea.  I just stopped by my favorite spring steel shop on Friday and he gave me some new 5160 drops that I'd planned on cutting and using to forge weld into mild steel bits.  Now you gave me another idea.  The drops are from huge truck leaf springs so there's plenty of material there to upset and work.  

i really like this way, if you make a small cut out first its very easy to isolate the area you are upsetting, and if you have a hardy block you can do double bit axes this way as well. but the main benefit is that you don't have very thick stock to draw out for the cutting edge and so less fish lipping etc.

• 2 years later...

This is the camp axe I forged with the help of Brent Bailey. It is pretty sweet. Edge stays sharp for a long time. Fairly light and easy to use. Only thing I wish I had done differently was make the handle about 2 inches shorter. 

it was made from a 5” piece of the thicker bottom spring from a set of springs from an old Ford F-250. I love it. I named it Rush Creek. It was built Ford Tough!

E959AE6A-6A37-40AB-8414-0F129F43E12C.jpeg