I Forge Iron

Words of Wisdom

Glenn

We do cheap, good and fast. Choose which 2 you want.

"Yes we can"! (I just forget who said that one)!

If I can't fix it with a hammer and an anvil, you've got an electrical problem.

Teachers- men amongst boys and boys amongst men.

A friend in need is a ******* nuisance.

The longer the barrel, the closer the bird.

Never, never let your gun pointed be at anyone. All the phasant ever bred, won't atone for 1 man dead.

Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while: means even an idiot can learn something.

Useless as tits on a bore hog: means whatever the subject of the conversation is, is useless.

Country as a butter bean: means, well you know.

That head has wore out 3 bodies: means really ugly person, has been said about me.

Blind in one eye, can't see out the other: means can't see.

I feel like a stump whooped chitlin (pig intestine):means I am extremely tired and beat. They used to sling the chitlins against stumps to clean them out.

His face could hold a two day rain: means a really wrinkled face.

I would rather be down here wishing I was up there, than up there wishing I was down here: means don't go flying if you think the weather ain't good.

Even though flying has made the world a smaller place it is still hard to miss when you crash.

It didn't take long to look at that: means something was very hot and you through it down right after picking it up.

You can't ride two horses with one a##: means make up your mind.

Full as a tick: means I ate too much.

If you are going to be stupid you got to be tuff.

When it is brown it is cooking, when it is black it is done. That one was said around the fire station a lot.

You can't polish a piece of dung.
Having retired from the fire service I could go on all night.

When in my forge:
1. Assume everything is hot - black iron is NOT cold iron.
2. Assume everything is heavy - don't try to catch ANYTHING falling, as most of my tools weigh more than you, and none of them cost more to replace than you do to repair.
3. Assume everything is a combination of the above, because there is a darn good chance it is.

Two Maine sayings; "Hard tellin`, not knowin`" and "God hates a coward" usually said before doing something that comes back to bite you.
A shipyard saying; "Put down your purse and HIT IT"

"There are 3 types of people in this world,Those who make things happen,those who watch things happen and those who wonder what just happened.Try to be the first type"- 1st Sgt Roberts. To which I added type 4-Those who stand in the way of those trying to make things happen.

"We`re not psychics,we`re just know-it-alls" - Me

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmm.  That may not be good advice for some people.  What if you would insult your boss, purchase a bunch of stuff you couldn't afford, and/or possibly ingest a bunch of stuff that's not good for you on your last day?  It might be a bad idea to live every day that way.

I guess that it all depends on your point of view.  Most people, I suppose would rather spend the day if it were there last, enjoying life to the fullest.  Possibly, family and friends, creating, doing good things in general.  Not gorging on greasy food, insulting people and going into debt that others must account for.  I think that's not what he meant.  The quote came from his topic "Seamstress And Child" located in the sculpture section.