I Forge Iron

Show me your hot cut hardies, improvised or otherwise.

What do you use to hot cut metal?

Show me your hot cut hardies, improvised or otherwise.

Whitesmith posted this one made from a piece of angle iron.

Hot cut hardie.jpg

hardie cut off 01.jpg

It can be bolted onto the hardie post if you do not have a welder.

If it gets dull or deformed just touch it with a grinder.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, TMusick-Slater said:

Gonna try to hot fit it today. 

As a point of getting the sequences of operation right. You need to fit the shank and set the shoulder before forging the die or hardy.There's too much potential for damaging the hardy doing it now. Being a welded up tool means you had every opportunity to fit the shank from the beginning. Sequencing processes is an acquired skill and in some things essential.

Looks good though, if the shank is close you might consider hot rasping it to fit or forging it down more. What did you forge it from?

Frosty The Lucky.

A selection. Left to right: a curved edge from a jackhammer bit, a straight edge (with a small fuller on one end) from heavy leaf spring, a one-sided butcher from a jackhammer bit, and one I made from torsion bar for nailmaking: the nubbins on either side of the cutting edge keep you from cutting all the way through, keeping the nail attached to the rod while you move it to the header. 

F232AB18-8566-4981-94E0-F5A76DAED4B0.jpeg

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Looks good though, if the shank is close you might consider hot rasping it to fit or forging it down more. What did you forge it from?

Frosty The Lucky.

No forging, just learning to weld and had some free junk from work. The shank is improvised square tubing from angle iron. Couldn't fit as I went as the welder is far from the anvil. I did have some  measurements but the hardy hole has some wear so the narrowest point is narrower than I was able to measure. Probably just use an angle grinder. It's close and if it breaks, I'm out but a little time and up quite a bit of experience. Order of operations is certainly an acquired skill.