I Forge Iron

How big is your shop?

I'm still planning the shop I want to build when I'm done with graduate school, and just how big to make the thing is something I keep coming back to.

It got me thinking, what are the dimensions of other smiths' shops? Is it too small, or do you have more room than you need? (This is rather a matter of opinion based on what you do, of course. A jeweler needs less space than an architectural blacksmith.)

My own shop, currently, is about 15' by 20', in a barn with another bay about that size which I use to store most of my scrap pile and coal.

Mine is as big as the great out doors......after I roll the forge, slacktub and anvil out of the one car garage that its stored in along with the rest of my tools and machines;) My power hammer sits just inside so its near the forge when in use and handy. Otherwise my "shop" is so cramped I have to go outside to change my mind anyway LOL

mine is about 1/3 of a 30x40' 2 car garage / shop. currently I've been keeping my car outside and using the extra space for project but even with it inside I general have "enough" space in the roughly 15x15' area that contains the forge, anvil work table.

Mine is a miniscule 30' x 40' x 14'. It isn't finished and it's getting crowded.

When done, there'll be a 40' Connex along one side about 10-12' from the building with a roof between for cold dry storage. The Connex will be secure storage and perhaps a specialty work space. Paint booth? Smallish Alaskan fish smoker? The big trick will be coming up with something before Deb claims it for hay and feed storage.

Frosty
GCOA

Mine is just a 12'x20' portable cover. Like a car port with a metal roof. 1/3 is set up for bench tools, grinder, bandsaw, etc. with two benches. The rest is blacksmith shop with a large general purpose bench along one side. I dont have room for my table saw so I'm now looking for an extention. Its all open. Fourtainately I live in a neighborhood without a theft problem, so I have no fears about leaving everything out.

I would say build as big as you can afford. Layout your shop before setting stuff up. Taking the time to think things through can save moving them later, and make your work space more efficient.

I agree with unkle spike. Very good advice. Then adjust and adapt to what size you wind up with.
I have had several shops over the years and I learned to adjust to the size.
I would suggest that if you have a small shop, try to store the non-essential materials outside (cover it with a tarp if you have to) so you can maximumize the use of what ever the size of working space you do have in your shop.
I now have a small 14' x 7' (stand alone) dedicated forge station, a 30' x 30' shop for welding and finishing, plus an 18' x 28' materials storage shed. But it took me 48 years to get them.
If you read what Frosty said about his shop " Mine is a miniscule 30' x 40' x 14'. It isn't finished and it's getting crowded." It leads me to believe what so many that have come before us have said about shop size. You will never have a shop big enough!
Here is a photo of my first shop. "Out in the open" I worked outside for 21 years. The sky was my ceiling. - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Ted Edited by Ted T

I also have half of a two car garage and it is like working in a clothes closet. However, until I retire to the country, this is it. Barely enough room for two anvils, two work benches, my forge and slack tub, and some lawn equipment. And a 5KW generator. Gulf Coast and all that. Oh, and two shelf units, my table saw, a rack for lawn care tools, and all my scrap. I gotta go outside to change my mind.

Mine's a 30 x 40 two story

Working area on the first floor is 30 x 30 - split equally into blacksmith/wood shop with the other 10 feet on one side for compressor, hardware storage and assorted " what's that?"

Second story is an unfinished apartment space being used for storage but will eventually become my office, product photography area, inventory and graphics studio.

The lean-to area in the pic will be torn down, then I'll build an extension so I can move my wood shop and turn the main space into just blacksmithing and foundry.

6782.attach

6783.attach

6784.attach

You have a fork lift too! I got all excited about the engine hoist I found yesterday and now I have lift envy.

Hey Frosty - yeah, it's handy - it's another piece of old iron. 1962 hyster 3 wheel with an' 80's era mast on it. Being as lazy as I am, it makes for a perfect way to get things from the upstairs sliding door you see in the pic without having to haul everything up and down the stairs!

I keep all of my stock and building supplies on pallets so I can move it right up to the roll-ups and pick what I need.

Those ol' engine hoists are invaluable tho - I still use mine for the tight space short picks I need to do!

My current shop is 20x30 feet with 10' walls and a 10x10 roll up door at either end so the soft New Mexico breezes can flush out any fumes, preheat the stock and sandblast the ironwork, smith and all the tools all in one go!

In reality the first 10' bay is smithing, the second is other metal working and the third is woodworking/knife hilting, etc.

I only run the gasser indoors as it's a purpose built clean little building---no wood in it's construction at all!

I plan to build a 20x20 addition as soon as I can scrounge the needed stuff so I have a roof over the coal forge.

Edited by ThomasPowers

Mine is 12' x 18'. Gable roof without interior trusses, about 12' from dirt floor to ridgepole. Swing doors on front, 8' high, 8' wide. Not enormous but adequate. Bigger would be nice but now it is summer. In winter anything bigger would be a chore to heat.
Might put a man door in the corner of the back wall (dutch door).
For a one man show it's big enough for now.:DDan

12x22 with a porch that is 9x22 and it is so stuff with stuff I can barely walk from the door to the power hammer sometimes, and the shop spills out in to the yard I have a coal forge and post vice set up infront of the big doors to the main forging bay of the shop would like to get to the point where the forging area was in the south end of the main bay, the welding in the north end, and the grinding and finishing in the porch, but I will have to dispose of some of the extra tools that are in the way

Looking at building atleast a 36 x 48 x 16? I have overhead cranes that I can install so I need head space, plus I need room to get a Nazel and/or a steam hammer(s) into the shop... ;-)

mine's 1600 sq.ft. w/ two large roll up doors. Set up with separate areas for different processes. In the main shop area is a Forging area w/ air hammer(soon to be 2 hammers), anvils, post vice, two gas forges, layout table. Fabrication area w/fab table, welders. Foundry area w/ two foundry furnaces, sand casting and lost wax investment equipment. And a separate area that is shared for vacuum assisted investment casting and Hot Glass. The hot glass area is set up to do both torch work and slumping and fusing. The two kilns serve double duty for the lost wax burnouts as well as annealing and slumping and fusing glass, and occasionally used for tempering tools .

Two separate and A.C.'d clean rooms that are set up for jewelry work. One has a jeweler's bench and a wax design bench. The other house's my personal jeweler's bench.

And finally a 10'x20' area outside, under cover for finishing/painting. And a Shopsmith on wheels so the woodworking area.......moves around :D