I Forge Iron

Building a coal forge need input

Chuckbuckeye

So I have acquired a lot of angle iron. I was thinking of making my coal pot out of it and lining it with refactory cement . Is this a good idea ? Question 2 is how deep should my pot be ? I would basically weld up a box out of the angle iron and step it down until I got to about 4” square. I would then weld plate on that and cut out my hole for my blower . 

If you are going to use plate steel anyway why not just weld up the fire pot from that. Refractory cement would just be a waste of money really. The frame for the table could use that angle iron. As far as size of the pot, that depends on the size of work you want to do. 

Ha ha Thomas, very funny. 

Chuck ... Steve's suggestion is your first step, plenty of info in the right section. 

For a forge burning coal or coke, a 4' depth is the usually accepted average. The size of the pot and the hight of the edge depends from your source of air, volume and pressure and what you are wanting to forge. Long stuff that needs a recess or short small stuff.

If you are going to make a pot from plate, it will work but will eventually burn out at the edges. I suggest using 3/8 plate and pay special attention to the top edge. You make it as an inverted truncated pyramid and add a 2" flat edge frame from same material to stop it from burning out. 

Add some pictures of your progress and make sure you read the many threads about forge build here. 

Thank you guys . So I’ll get a little more in depth. I’m hoping to start out making knives and tomahawks and axes all the way up to swords . Obviously starting small. Hoping to get started soon . My coal is on its way . Super excited ! So I have made a table out of angle iron with a piece of plate for the top . It’s 2’x2’ . So what I’m thinking of doing is starting off with my coal pot being 12”x12” then taking it down from there . I have 1”x1” angle iron . So if my math is right I can weld up a “pot “ about 6” deep . I only have a little bit of plate so I was going to use that for the bottom. I will leave an opening in the bottom for my air . Should I use the refactory cement ? I feel like that will make it last longer . Also devising a clunker breaker . 

Well, how much is refractory cement vs. steel plate? ( I honestly don't know. Still using a 2" or 3" deep by 8" diameter brake rotor for the past 4-5 years now.)  Just because you have a supply of something doesnt always make it the best or efficient thing to use. You could make an aweful lot of leaves from angle iron. Tool holders, tables, parts of fullers to clamp in a vise..... just offering different views. 

• 2 weeks later...