I Forge Iron

Usage Suggestions for Thick-Walled Tubes

thats Shelby tubing sold by the " NOT cheap !! stuff --

great for building any type pipe hing for say a dump bed also could use for hoist swing arm hing just need a pin

i would put to the side to nice to forge just cause

for blacksmithing have no good Ideas sorry !

Steve's Welding

Thanks for identifying it IronWolf. From what I saw of Shelby tubing, that would be 1016-1020 steel.

I wasn't even considering using it for smithing. It would take forever to heat it up to red in my small charcoal forge!

What I was considering was using it as a tool to shape metal over it or to bend around it.

Just a possible use that comes to mind is it could be used to make a slide hammer. ( looks like it might be heavy enough as a slide). 

It would certainly be welcome in my scrap pile for " when I need it". And can always be used as a quick bending form.

Pipe like that is rare enough around here that I'd be hesitant to cut it up or hammer on it. 

Still, no harm in cutting off a small length and making a cupping tool with it.  The thick wall would make it plenty strong enough to do cold work, too, and that's always a nice way to make dishes.

Well, doesn't that give me more incentive to pick up old junk wood stoves. You see the heat exchange pipes in the tops of the older ones. In fact I have a use for a couple feet of pipe like that right now. I just don't want to pay for new. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings Arthur, 

I ended up with a chunk of thick walled pipe like yours... I made a stainless insert and a support in the center with a small strap on the top in the center for handling.  i would take it to demos and heat it in the forge than insert a hot dog on a piece of stainless welding rod .. The object was to show young folks radiant heat.. Lots of fun until I ran out of dogs.. 1 heat would cook 3 dogs.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim 

Jim, that's an nifty idea. A small oven for the forge! ;)

Frosty, most people will give their old stove away if you get it out of their house. But they are massive and a pain to bring up from the basement. My brother's weighted over 300 pounds, even after taking out the fire bricks and removing the door.