I Forge Iron

Are we talking about a 700-900 pound hammer or a 3-6 ton hammer or an even larger one?

I've moved a number of 25 & 50 pound little giants and my champion 60#.  I like to lay them down on an appropriate trailer and haul them flat.

I had a fiend come close to killing himself moving a 250# little giant. After an unexpected load shift trying to get it unloaded and stood upright he followed my suggestion and hired a semi-wrecker to lift it off---cheaper than a crane!

When I had to move 1500 miles---I hired a rigger.

If you don't know how to lay one down without breaking it or you or the trailer hire a rigger.

If you don't have appropriate lift points to belay it on hire a rigger.

Ask at the local ABANA chapter if anyone local has experience and promise them BBQ and BEER *after* it's moved!

If you think hiring a rigger is outrageous you've never paid for a 15 minute ride in an ambulance let alone emergency room bills. I've been reading your posts for quite a while Dillion and you are NOT able to do this yourself. Most of us who've tried helping you have given up on hoping you can or will follow simple instructions. 

Hire a rigger, if you can't afford one you can't afford the craft let alone a power hammer.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wow. America must be a terrible place to injure yourself.

Over here you can come up with any number of ingenious ways to move things, and if the extremely slight chance of injuring yourself occurs, ambulance and medical attention is entirely fee free.

I suggest working out what could go wrong, and equip yourself with the knowledge not only to avoid any issues with moving it, but also what to do if something does fall over.

Thats how Stonehenge was built.

They didnt worry about insurance companies and their fear tactics, they just knew what to do. (They didnt use slaves either)

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

I've been reading your posts for quite a while Dillion and you are NOT able to do this yourself. Most of us who've tried helping you have given up on hoping you can or will follow simple instructions.

Well thanks for calling ne an idiot who cant follow instructions. In other knews 

Yes iron woodrow America is exspensive as can be for medical stuff

Many, many years ago when I was but a young lass, I worked for a man who decided to move a huge printing press by himself - didn't want to spend the money to hire someone to do it.  I will never forget standing near the press when one of his half-baked measures gave way and this multi-ton printing press lurched to one side - MY SIDE!   I came within a few inches of meeting my maker under the edge of that press.  It takes but a second, one slip of a rigging, one bump, one miscalculation.   

Hire a professional.  

4 hours ago, iron woodrow said:

Wow. America must be a terrible place to injure yourself.

Over here you can come up with any number of ingenious ways to move things, and if the extremely slight chance of injuring yourself occurs, ambulance and medical attention is entirely fee free.

I suggest working out what could go wrong, and equip yourself with the knowledge not only to avoid any issues with moving it, but also what to do if something does fall over.

Thats how Stonehenge was built.

They didnt worry about insurance companies and their fear tactics, they just knew what to do. (They didnt use slaves either)

Injuring yourself is always a bad to terrible thing wherever you live. What's your income tax Austrailia and medicare rates add up to?  I believe they can run up to nearly 50% of your income right?  At it's most expensive my income tax and medical insurance wasn't that high and I had excellent insurance. I said "had" because after reaching 60 my coverage shifted to medicare so my deductible and copay more than doubled. 

I'm also a lay paeleoarchaeology buff and am very interested in where you get the data on the henges. How many people were involved in and injured erecting Stone Henge? You're SURE they didn't use slaves? Cites please. I believe the ONLY part of your stone henge construction statements that holds water is the folks who erected it not worrying about insurance companies. Probably didn't worry about infections, straight limbs after a break or surviving serious injury. 

Do you have a useful suggestion for the lad who spent months asking the same questions repeatedly and still couldn't figure out how to build a hot fire?

It's not that you're an "idiot" to use YOUR words Dillian. You're a pretty typical teenager who like most of us is full of ideas but can't stay on task long enough to follow simple directions let alone make a plan.  We don't dislike you, we just aren't about to contribute to you doing yourself a serious mischief. Were we neighbors I'd give you a hand.  We just aren't close enough for me to take you under my wing directly, all I can do is my best to keep you from doing yourself  harm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning,

The cost of purchasing a piece of Equipment, INCLUDES, the cost of getting it home SAFELY and creating a safe place to house it, bring electricity to it and all the Tooling to be able to use it. This is just REALITY!!! If it falls  off the Truck once it's paid for, you still own the junk.

Neil

There are many pieces of evidence to state that the workers at stone henge were not slaves, one being the rich and varied diets of the residents of the only town so far discovered.

The houses themselves also suggest that these people were not slaves or forced workers.

Of course the facetious request for statistics on deaths and injuries cannot be fulfilled, but as there has yet to be found a graveyard of broken bodies with severe crush injuries, and from what we now understand of the community mindset of the people involved, we can assume that the safety of the workers was very much on their minds.

My stonehenge analogy was simply to point out that with patience and forethought large objects can be moved without the devastation that insurance companies have made so many people fearful of.

We lifted this 5000kg hammer almost a metre off the ground, rolled it sideways off the anvil, and lowered it back down, with simple levers and timber sleepers.

Two men ten hours.

We got it done safely and never a sign of danger.

20180305_124123.jpg

20180305_141914.jpg

I just read the thread you refer to frosty, and I see it as a lad asking questions to try and get his head around a few things, and almost the only answer he got was "follow the instructions"

I cannot answer that without seeing what you are intending to do.

Post photos of what you are moving, where you are moving it to, the shed it is coming out of and the shed you are putting it in.

Also read ANY posts about moving hammers on the power hammer pages, dont ask any questions, teach yourself the lingo, what the tools required are, speak to your dad and helpers, see what their suggestions are.

I suggest that the worst thing to do is to ask strangers on the internet to answer questions when they haven't seen what it is you are trying to do, and when they have already made their mind up about you and your abilities.

More often than not the right questions are necessary to achieve the right answer.

Arm yourself with the knowledge to ask the right questions. An army requires weapons, the greatest weapon you have is knowledge and where and how to use it.

Do any of them have experience moving heavy objects?  The hammers I mention I moved by myself with no powered equipment save the vehicle (come-a-longs, block and tackle, rollers, levers, CRIBBING,... and stout belay points.

Experience and the ability to take things very slowly is what is needed.

4 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Do any of them have experience moving heavy objects?  The hammers I mention I moved by myself with no powered equipment save the vehicle (come-a-longs, block and tackle, rollers, levers, CRIBBING,... and stout belay points.

Experience and the ability to take things very slowly is what is needed.

What he said /|\

Ok well hopefully i will be going to his shop in a week or to to work with him and do some forging(he is acctually the man who taught me most of my technique and got me started out) so if I do I will certainly take pictures, as for exieriance me and my family have alot of experiance moving safes(about a 900-1000 pound safe) ajd one of the people has experience moving large pool tables