I Forge Iron

Here is a harebrained idea,  that just might work

Explain to the rigging people that you a little low on cash  and you would be happy to help them out in trade.

You can, at least, clean the shop.

Some will say no, & they may even laugh.

But take it in stride, and hit the next shop.

"Hey you never know".

SLAG.

On 7/15/2018 at 10:04 PM, SLAG said:

Here is a harebrained idea,  that just might work

Explain to the rigging people that you a little low on cash  and you would be happy to help them out in trade.

If i end up hiring a crew i will definitely try that for sure

23 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Another thought is are you prepared to obtain a big air compressor to run a BigBlu?

Yes i can get the compressor easily ut comes with one like i said he is an older man tgat actually taught me almost everything i know and got me started(he is to the point he cant do any of it himself anymore sadly)

If you haven't already you could ask the current owner how it was unloaded & moved into place when it was installed.

I got myself in a bit of a situation when I bought a large horizontal milling machine several years ago. The seller was was going to lift it on my trailer with his loader. He decided at the last minute he couldn't lift it because it was too heavy & my truck decided to break down the weekend before the deadline to move it. I called a local tow truck company and they showed up with a 30 ton truck crane and a flatbed truck, loaded it, transported it 20 miles, unloaded it onto steel rods I had placed in my driveway and used the crane boom to help me push it into my garage for about $300 bucks cash. Some times having someone else do the work isn't so expensive. Only down side to the cheap price was all the risk was on me if it they damaged it in the move.

In the last 2 months at work i have seen a 1000lb bar cut a sling and drop 5 feet to tge floor

a electromagnet loose power due yo a faulty safety latch ( dropping a 4000lb plate about 4’)

and about 10,000 lbs of steel bars slide sideways and fall about 12’ lefr a hell of a dent in the floor 

all three incidents where expirenced operators/ riggers who became complacent in thier safety pratices

thankfully nobody was injured but a few pair of BVD’S

know tge weaight of what you are lifting, know tge capacity of your rigging(knots cut this in half or less. Remember, Remember , Remember When you drop a load .... don’t be where it will end up 

that 4000lb plate bounced 6” and hit tge floor twice

never be under a load!!! Allways leave yourself an escape route. Never be where the load is going to go WHEN you drop it

du

On 7/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, Dillion Brian Grant said:

as for exieriance me and my family have alot of experiance moving safes(about a 900-1000 pound safe) ajd one of the people has experience moving large pool tables 

Dilion: you have experienced riggers and of heavy movers in your immediate family. You don't need our advice. Especially not the aggravation of facetious analogies from someone offering no useful help. Remember, "be careful, go slow" are the words of someone who doesn't have to pay for his own mistakes and can afford reckless behavior. Evidently no conscience if someone in a far land gets injured, either.

If you have their help, you're golden, all you need ask us for are tips for making tooling, maybe placement. Fiddly bits and details of use, etc.

Please don't forget we LOVE pictures. If you can get some of the move you can help other folk wanting to move heavy equipment. 

Please remember I do NOT think you're an idiot. You might get that impression often but it's a fact of coming of age, we've all been through it. It WILL pass with experience, we just don't want to see you doing needlessly dangerous things if we can help it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/15/2018 at 2:43 PM, Frosty said:

I've been reading your posts for quite a while Dillion and you are NOT able to do this yourself. Most of us who've tried helping you have given up on hoping you can or will follow simple instructions. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Remember to listen to ALL advice given, and then consider which is right for you.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:57 AM, iron woodrow said:

, speak to your dad and helpers, see what their suggestions are.

I still think this is the best option

Remember also Dillon, that there are also always those who will tell you that you cannot do something, before they even have the full story.

I think this thread goes to show that having the most information about a job before attempting it is the sure course of action. Please keep us updated on what your father and other helpers have to say on the subject. Im sure "we will be careful and go slow" will be part of it

Good luck and stay safe.

A lot of tool rental places rent machinery trailers that lower to the ground.  A 1200lb machine is not too heavy to come a long onto one of these with minimal ramping and the use of some 3/4” pipe as rollers, Egyptian style.  Same for getting it off.  Keep your lines low as that hammer is top heavy, and work slow (I’m talking about an inch at a time slow) and you’ll be fine.

In my neck of the woods, to get a rigger to show up its 2k plus.......

Have any neighbors that farm? If they have a 50 hp or better tractor with a loader it would handle it. Drain the sand out, hook it above the balance point, and off to the trailer. Its not like we are talking 10 tons here.

There is a wonderful book on the subject called " How to move heavey things". It used to be published by Lindsy. I am sure you can find a copy cheap on line. It is a basic intro to rigging. The number one rule is go slow, and number two is never get any part of you under or in the path of a load. You might want to hire a rollback truck and let a pro do it. Since you are asking I doubt you are dealing with weight that will be requiring anything like a crane or crew of riggers. I don't know the cost of the tow but should be under $500.

I've moved my hammers around pretty effortlessly with a folding harbor freight engine hoist in the past. That said I have a concrete shop floor that the wheels can roll on. Everyone who has this hobby should at least have some tools to move heavy things around if needed, might as well start now. I bought my little engine hoist for $100 off craigslist and it's served me well over the years. I didn't read all the comments here but it sounds like you might have around 1200lb to lift? That shouldn't be too big of a move, just keep the hammer an inch or less from the ground when moving it and make sure you have a good lifting point where the straps won't slide off. If you're wary about lifting it up to a trailer you can rent a drop deck trailer from places like sunbelt rentals for around $70 a day. 

It doesnt take much equipment, just some know how. With timbers, levers and rollers just about anything can be moved. The longer you are involved in this trade, the more likely you will need to move big stuff, and it keeps getting bigger.