I Forge Iron

PICTURES of your hardy sleeves / hole size adaptor

windancer

My new anvil arrived and is sitting in place on it's new solid wood block.

The hardy is much lager than my old anvil

Been doing this many years so have every hardy tool I ever imagined I could ever need.

So I want to make a sleeve that fits inside the anvil. Not going to even consider remaking all my hardy tools or doing something to change the shanks.

Will you folks share pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures of you solutions for me to steal?

If there are no pictures it didn't happen...

Thanks, brother and sister smiths!

Dave

You ask for photos or it didn't happen? Surely you jest.

The issue when you get two anvils is that many times they do not have the same size hardie hole. You can make two hardie tools, or make a shim or converter. This was a piece of angle iron for the first converter, and a piece of thin wall tubing for the second one. 

4spacer06.jpg

All you have to do is to slip it into the hardie hole.

4spacer07.jpg

And your anvil tool with the smaller hardie post will work on the big anvil with the big hardie hole. The ears were later thinned down quite a bit so the hardie tool fit more level to the anvil.

4spacer08.jpg

Another way to do the same thing is by using a piece of tubing and flaring the top edge a bit so it does not go into the hardie hole. The photo is a bit strange as that is a 3/4 inch hardie hole on the anvil and a 1 inch piece of tubing to adapt small hardie tools to a larger hardie hole on another anvil.The photo was taken this way to show the difference in sizes.

Image result for search hardie hole sleeve on iforgeiron.com

Or make a portable hole.

Let me respectfully suggest the following.

Show me your hardie tools

Fixing worn hardy hole?

School me on Hardy hole size.

Changing hardy hole size

Fitting hardy shaft

Your humor is fine, it is formulating a snappy response that takes time. (grin)

You will want to make certain hardie tools, such as hot cuts, large anvil specific. Saves time and eliminates any wiggle or slop from a shim.in the hardie hole. Second large anvil specific hardie tool,  is a bender that used both the hardie hole and the prichel hole for stability. 

There are the folks I have grown to know love, complete with mouths :)

Never been good with witty responses [too square] that take less than a full week [probably a 'knot head' comment here that contradicts that somewhere].

Frosty must be away from his PC...

Do need to make a Brazeal-style hot cut that fit perfect, Glenn, can't work with a wiggle there.

Dave

what I did with ALL my anvil's was to weld in a SQ tubing  in to the Lg anvils hardie holes that my 1" hardie tools  would fit in to -

on the ones that were smaller than 1" I took die grinder A 12 of beer :rolleyes: & some time to grind to 1" LOL

= one size hardie tools that fit any of my 5 anvils

you can do this OR make another Set of tools ! :(

I've posted this many times but....I have 3 anvils with 1.5" hardy holes. So I have a double nesting sleeve made from sq stock.  But unlike the one above I cut along the diagonal of the outer sleeve and bent out large tabs to hold it up---I also prefer the hardy tooling impacting on the sleeve material rather than the face.  To go along with this I have been re purposing top tooling with damaged striking areas to fit in the 1.5" hardy holes---my screwpress is a great help to get nice flat parallel sides from where the tools eye used to be.

I picked up a number of top tools with good faces but damaged striking areas from Quad-State one year.  The seller had a big table and piles of $3, $2 and $1 stuff and the price went down over the event...

• 1 month later...

The new hardy if 1 1/8 inch, so having trouble finding and steel that size that is WAY over-priced.

Found a piece of heavy tube that I sanded down until it would fit the hard and split the corners a touch. Just need to bend all 4 sides down now and it will be ready to go.

Will post a Pic when I get it finished :)

Dave