I Forge Iron

Blower electrical help!

Howdy smiths,

So here's the short of it: I have a Fasco B24220 AC blower and I want to wire it to a foot pedal which will plug into a standard outlet. My trouble is, I'm electrically challenged. Any advice on electrical specs/wire/foot pedal I can buy to accomplish this?

Here's the info on the wires connected to the blower (which which happens to be a NON POLARIZED AC MOTOR?): CSA CL1251 OR AWM I A/B 1258C 600V Ft-2 E29326 AWM 125*C 600 V Style F 3173 18 AWG Suitable for Switchboard Wire. 

Thanks and Gig'em!

Micah

blower1.JPG

blower2.JPG

blower3.JPG

1. Wire the fan to a standard 115v power cord.

2. Go the Harbor Freight and buy a foot pedal .  The have both on/off (press the pedal once to turn it on, then again to turn it off) and "Dead Man" type (press the pedal to turn it on, remove your foot to turn it off).  Plug the power cord into the outlet on the back of the pedal switch then the pedal switch in to the outlet. 

foot switch.jpg

Let me know if I can help you

Wayne Coe

3 wire polarized is safer. If the blower only has 2 leads, the third (great) would connect to a fashioner fastener on the metal case. So In case the motor shorts out internally and energizes the case the breaker will trip. It would suck to touch an electrified case. This is why most appliances are now wired this way .

No problem. So you literally just run the third wire to a screw on the outer casing? Also, with a 3-terminal, would wires from the top 2 terminals on the each wire to the 2 blower wires and then the wire from the bottom terminal on the plug fasten to the the casing?

Look at the wire insulation, is one marked or embossed? It may be desighned for only a two conductor set up were polerity doesn’t  mater, but even then a three wire set up with the metal case grounded (not tied in to the neutral) is a safer set up. 

Infact the motor is clearly marked as requiring a ground

is there a box on the side of the motor those wires come out of? if so here should be a screw in the box for your ground (its usually green).  it shouldnt make a difference which wire is hooked to which since they arnt marked. if it doesnt work or it sucks instead of blows switch the wires

16 hours ago, AggieBlacksmith said:

Howdy smiths,

Howdy Micah,

Do you have a clear idea now of how to wire your blower? Just checking.

2 hours ago, Glenn said:

Photos will make things a whole lot clearer.

I can see in your photos that there is a conduit box hidden under your hand. That is where all of your work will be done. If you are still in need of direction,

post a well-illuminated photo of the inside of that box.

Robert Taylor

4 hours ago, MarkDobson said:

it should not make a difference which wire is hooked to which since they are not marked. if it does not work or it sucks instead of blows switch the wires

The label says 116 V 50/60 Hrz which is AC.

Please explain how AC motors can run backwards if the 2 wires are switched. Please provide references if possible as I want to look into this if it is indeed an option.

Done let the unlicensed unknowing guesswork scare you.   You have 2 conductors.   Connect one of them to the white, and the other to the black, Green (or bare) wire connects to the case. that is as simple as that, plus wire it into the foot pedal Wayne showed you for added control.

In order to run backwards as any REAL ELECTRICIAN knows, it requires more than 2 wires for that operational option on a single phase AC motor

So let me get this straight...the best course of action would be:

Use a 3 terminal power cord...connect EITHER of the two black blower wires to EITHER of the white/black wires...connect the green wire to a screw on the blower chasis...plug the 3 terminal plug (that those the wires converge into) into the foot pedal...and then plug the foot pedal into an outlet.

Sorry, like I said, I'm electrically challenged.

4 hours ago, Glenn said:

The label says 116 V 50/60 Hrz which is AC.

Please explain how AC motors can run backwards if the 2 wires are switched. Please provide references if possible as I want to look into this if it is indeed an option.

sorry, i was thinking dc since the motors we wire up at work are 90v DC. any of the AC motors we wire are 460v and have three wires.